Chapter Forty-Three

This is not how I expected tonight to go. I hate it, I know there isn't anything between Josh and I, nor is there anything close to a relationship between Ian and I but this is by far the most awkward car ride I have ever been in. I'm not sure who to talk to, or if I can even talk to anyone at all.

"You can drop your friend off, then take me home." Josh says from the passenger side of the front seat.

Quickly, Ian chimes in. "Oh, no that's okay. I live down the road from Jace so I can walk with him."

Josh looks at me confused, "You were going to walk home, from my house?" He chuckles.

"I don't know where you live. I assumed it would be close enough. If not, I would have called Will."

He doesn't answer as I pull up to a red light, instead he laughs. "You were right, you're driving is pretty good on the main road, I'm sorry I didn't let you drive to the burger store."

I take a deep breath trying to choose my words, I'm not sure what he's trying to do, but it sounds like it's about to get even more weird in here. "Thank you..." Yeah sure, that was casually and not suspicious.

Ian is in the back, watching our exchange closely.

"You in the mood for music?" Josh asks as he connects his phone to the car.

"Oh, you don't want Zombie's music, he listens to old ass music." Ian laughs from the back.

If I could jump out of this car right now, I would. But unfortunately, the light turns green.

"He likes the new music I put on his phone." He shrugs.

I look at Josh through the side of my eye and see him looking at me waiting for an answer. His icy blue eyes sharper than normal, god he is so sexy and after this insane car ride, I'm starting to come to the conclusion that maybe he is into me. Though, I can't imagine someone as good looking as him would like me. Ian is cute, don't get me wrong but he's not my type I guess. Still, this is the worst position I could have put myself in. What can I say to even the playing field right now?

"Billy Joel?" I ask.

Josh smirks but turns it on, I'm sure he knew exactly what I'm trying to do. Which is, even the playing field by choosing a song that's both old, but not too old.

Ian's phone dings and he looks down breaking us out of this conversation. Literally saved by the bell.

"Katie says that you have been ignoring her but wanted me to tell you she is staying over and will be in your bed when you get home."

Katie does this 'funny' thing where she stays at my house, sleeps in my bed and makes me either sleep on the couch or on the smallest corner of my own bed. She's the biggest bed hog.

I groan and drop my head back onto the head rest. "Tell her I'm not sleeping on the couch so she better not be taking the whole bed up again." We haven't exactly made up after everything, I'm sure she wants to talk about it.

"Katie?" Josh asks. His head snaps my way with a surprised look in his eyes "Your girlfriend?"

The sound that leaves Ian is not human. It's a mix of a laugh, a cough, a scoff, some type of bike revving, and maybe even a part of a blender.

Josh turns around to face him for the first time with concern on his face. While I make eye contact in the mirror with Ian and shake my head. He seems to understand because he contains himself and clears his throat. "My sister." Is all he says before looking back down at his phone to message her back.