01

"Kei! Bangun! Dah pukul berapa ni?" Shouted her mother.

Keithara groans as she rolls out of bed. After years of spending time abroad, she finally returns home for her cousin's big day. She didn't remember the last time she stepped foot in Brunei. She sits on the bed for a minute before telling herself to get up and ready.

She walks towards the window and draws the curtains. The morning light hits her in the face and illuminates the room. Keithara squints her eyes as she tries to adjust to the bright light. Her cousin had organised a little gathering yesterday for all of her bridesmaids. Keithara was one of the bridesmaids as well. They did henna, had a food party and ended the night by watching a movie marathon.

The rest of the bridesmaid crew stayed in her house but Keithara decided to return to her hotel room. Her family stays at the famous hotel called The Empire Brunei. Though her relatives insisted that they stay in one of their family houses, they kindly declined the offer as they knew they would be busy preparing for the wedding and wouldn't have the time to entertain their guests.

Keithara stares into an empty space. She was close to her cousin, Tia. Knowing that Tia will get married to a royal family member, and have a family of her own, broke her heart. Keithara has been living abroad for far too long that she wasn't familiar with the traditions back at home. She had a couple of runs with Tia to get it right and not mess up her big day.  She sighed before she started dressing up.

She strolled out of her room, meeting her parents who were sitting in the living room.

"Bye. I'll see you guys later." Said Keithara.

She made her way down to the hotel lobby and as she walked out of the hotel, a smile spread on her face. Tia had sent her a chauffeur to pick her up from her hotel to the palace.

"Good morning, Miss Keithara. Dayang Tia is waiting for you." Said the chauffeur.

She nodded.

The sudden feeling of nausea and nervousness consumed her as she was nearing her destination. The streets were decorated lavishly and there weren't many people on the street. Keithara fiddles with her thumb as they drive past the palace gates. People were running around, in and out of the palace to get this done. Security around the palace was double. Now, she understood why there weren't many people in the streets. Most of them were here, in the palace to bless the royal wedding.

The chauffeur took her to a private area, away from the public. It was where the members of the royal family resided. Just like the main hall, the private residence isn't much of a difference.

Keithara made her way towards where Tia was being held up. She pushes open the door and immediately her eyes settles on her cousin. She couldn't contain her happiness as she broke into tears.

"Tia ..." She cried.

"K! You made it!" Tia walks over towards her and engulfs her in a big hug.

"You look so beautiful!"

"I know! Tapi kau tak payah lah nak nangis, wei! Kau nangis, aku pun nak nangis." She murmured.

"Jangan! Nanti make up kau serabai. Tak pasal-pasal, bridesmaid lagi lawa dari bride." Laughed Keithara.

"Ha, kau tahu tak apa."

"On a side note, I am so proud of you. You are beginning your next phase in life with the man you love. I remember all those late night calls where we talked about boys and how you said that you wouldn't get married to anyone. Now, look where we are, babe. You are smitten over him. I'm really glad that you found him. I love you, babe. Always." She whispered.