Chapter 23

When Kai comes into the Healing Center the next day Keefe Sencen and his terrifying ogre bodyguard Ro are there. Keefe is sitting next to Sophie's cot, which she has her arm in a bucket of ice water.

"Umm, ice bath?" Kai asks as she walks by the two.

Keefe laughs, "Yup, but more like temperature regulation. I'm teaching Sophie skills so she doesn't go mad in here,"

"Oh nice," Kai says, "I did that when Exlium came to Foxfire,"

"Yeah, we did this at Exilum," Sophie says. "Except with heat,"

Kai's smile fades, "Oh right, I keep forgetting that you guys were exiled,"

"It's fine," She says, "Don't worry about it,"

"Ahh Kai good good your here," Elwin says walking into the room. "I want you to take this Elixir,"

Kai gives him a look, "What for?"

"For the headache I know you have,"

Kai rolls her eyes, "How do you always know I have one?"

Elwin looks serious, "Because I know you," He hands her the Elixer.

"Ugh this looks gross," She drinks it and tastes a familiar flavor, she has taken it before.

"Wow you sound like Foster," Keefe says, making Sophie snort.

"Are you saying that because I always have a headache?" Sophie asks.

Keefe rolls his eyes, "No because you always have a headache and you hate taking medicine,"

Kai laughs and Sophie rolls her eyes.

"Be glad I'm in this bed, otherwise I would strangle you," She says.

Keefe laughs, "I bet you would,"

They were totally being cute, but Forkle had to ruin the moment.

"Miss Foster Mr. Sencen, hello. Miss Behar good to see you again," He says as he bursts into the room.

"So what do you want to talk about?" Kai asks.

"I am arranging for you to continue to stay with Mr. Tam and Miss Linh at Tigran's house," Mr. Forkle says.

Kai's heart soars. She is excited to stay with them again.

"Awesome,"

"I also want to get you a goblin bodyguard, which is still in the working,"

"Okay,"

"Do you want to inform your mother that you're staying with Tigran or would you rather I do it?" He asks.

Kai doesn't even know how she would tell her mother that she is living in a different house for a while.

"Are you able to tell her?" Kai asks.

Mr. Forkle gives her a whimsical look, "I can do a lot more than it looks Miss Behar,"

Kai smiles, this dude is weird. "Okay, I think it would be better if you tell her. Maybe make a cover story or something,"

"Yes, I already have a story,"

"Okay cool,"

"Okay I must get back to my other duties, but I will see you soon Miss Behar,"

Mr. Forkle quickly rushes out the door.

"Wow he's in quite the rush," Ro says making Kai jump. "Jeez you're jumpy," She says grinning. Kai likes this ogre. She's sassy.

"And you're taller than I thought," Kai says, "And pinker,"

The ogre has bright pink hair, which looks very strange.

"Touche," Ro says.

Kai looks towards Fitz Vacker, who is still asleep.

"So Vacker is still sleeping," Kai says trying to get information.

Ro snorts.

"Yup," Sophie says wincing. Her arm must hurt, it's been in the water for at least two minutes.

"Yeah it's kind of just a snooze fest around here," Keefe says.

Before Kai responds Elwin comes in, "Kai come here tomorrow, I want to check your echo and headaches every day,"

Kai sighs, "Okay," she says, "I guess I'll see you two tomorrow,"

"Bye," Sophie says.

"See ya," Keefe

The next day, she came back to the Healing Center again. This time both Keefe and Sophie had their arms in the bucket of water.

"More ice baths?" Kai asks.

Keefe and Sophie both shiver slightly, but Keefe still has his signature smirk.

"Yeah i-it's good prac-practice," He says.

"Okaaay," Kai says. "Elwin? You here?"

There is some banging around in the back before the physician emerges from his alchemy station.

"Kai good to see you," He says, "Here is a new elixer for you to try,"

Kai grimaces, "What will it do?"

"I'm hoping that it will help fade the echoes and help with the pain," Elwin says.

"Okay," Kai is skeptical but trusts Elwin.

He hands her the Elixer, which is bright pink.

"Woah why is it so sparkly?" Kai grumbles, "I hate sparkles,"

Ro bursts into laughter making everyone look at her.

"An elf who doesn't like sparkles!" Ro laughs, "Well this is a first!"

A smile forms on Kai's face, Ro is hilarious.

"Take the elixer Kai," Elwin sighs. She wonders if he'd been awake through the night.

"Fine," She drinks the pink drink and shutters. It tastes like metal and blood together. "Ugh that is the nastiest one I've had,"

Elwin rolls his eyes and walks back to his alchemy station.

Kai says bye to the two shivering elves and heads back to her friends at their lunch table. She passes by Tam and Linh, who wave at her. She smiles and waves back. It feels good that they care enough to wave at her in public.

"Kai, where've you been?" Bricen asks as she comes over.

Kai grins, "I've been a bit busy,"

Gracelyn and Amaria snort, "Busy! You had a huge gash in your brain," Amaria says.

"What?" Bricen and Angin say. Apparently, no one told them that Kai was in the Healing Center.

"Not in my brain! Just my head," Kai says sitting down next to a silent Asher. "I'm fine though,"

"That's good," Kasi says. Kai's smile falters a bit, but she brings it back just as fast. Asher reaches for Kai's hand and grasps it tightly.

"You sure," he whispers. "You're sure you're good?"

Kai's heart flips a million times.

"Yes, the night went fine," She murmurs.

She knows that he is really asking about how the night went at Tam and Linh's.

He grins, "good,"

Around them, Gracelyn and Amaria are talking with Zayne and Angin now. Kasi is trying to pretend she's listening too, but she's obviously listening to Kai and Asher. Bricen is just staring at them. It is a little creepy and weird.

Kai grabs Asher's hand and pulls him up, "Me and Asher will be right back,"

Asher just looks confused but follows her lead.

"Yup,"

Still holding his hand, she pulls him out into an empty hallway.