Chapter 39

Kai cried into Linh's arms after recounting the memory that happened in her nightmare. Tiergan was there and watched it through her memories. 

"The beginning was an uncovered memory, but the end was just from nightmares," Tiergan told her.  

Kai sniffled. "Yeah, I've had that nightmare before." 

Linh squeezed her hand tightly. It was a reminder that she was there for Kai when she needed her. 

"I'm sorry," Tiergan said sympathetically. "I'll inform Mr. Forke, but or now get ready for school." 

That made Tam groan loudly. "Ugh school," he grumbled. 

Kai agreed but stayed silent until they left so she could get ready. She wasn't ready to return to school but knew not to argue. She was much too grateful to everyone in the Blackswan who had helped her. 

She pulled on her uniform and looked in the mirror. Although she looked basically the same, she knew that the person looking back at her was completely new. 

"Kai, are you ready?" Linh asked gently through the door. 

Kai swallowed hard. "Yes." 

Linh cracked the door open and poked her head in. Kai walked over and nodded. 

"I'm good, don't worry." 

Linh didn't look convinced but didn't say anything else as they walked to the leapmaster to meet Tam. 

"Foxfire," He shouted as soon as Linh grabbed his hand.

"So, Miss Behar, I know you were gone for a couple of weeks. So I made sure to adapt your lessons to fit what you need to make up." Magnate Leto told her. 

He had requested a meeting about her schoolwork because she'd been gone. Of course, the Blackswan was able to cover it up, so Magnate Leto only thought she'd fallen and hit her head on a cot.

"I will have your mentors just quickly teach over the stuff you missed and get along with their lessons," He continued. 

"Okay that sounds good," Kai said. "Thank you." 

He nodded and smiled. "You kids are always getting yourselves hurt aren't you?" 

Kai laughed slightly and thanked him again for helping her. Linh was there when she walked out. 

"So what did he tell you?" She asked. 

She seemed oddly tense. 

"He just told me that he will have my mentors teach me quickly to cover the stuff I missed. This way I won't have to just make it all up." 

Linh nodded slowly. "He didn't tell you anything else?" 

Kai looked at her confused. What else would he have told her? 

"Nooo," she dragged the word out. Kai was very confused at what Linh was trying to talk about. 

"Oh okay... umm yeah good, let's go," She said quickly. 

Kai scrunched her eyebrows, but didn't say anything as they walked the halls to Biana, Dex and Tam. 

"So... what did Magnate Leto tell you?" Dex asked. He was nervous, Kai could tell because he was wringing his hands so tight that Kai's hands started to hurt. 

"Why is everyone asking that?" Kai said suspiciously. 

Obviously they all knew something that she didn't know, she just didn't understand what. 

"Oh... um we were just wondering because it's not everyday someone gets called to the principals house," Biana said nervously. 

Kai just rolled her eyes. "He just told me how I'll be making up for the classes I missed." 

"Oh yeah... yeah that makes sense," Dex said, but when he said it, he did not look like it made sense to him. 

"Yeah... so are we meeting Zayne or what?" Kai asked when everyone went silent.

"Yeah definitely," Tam said. "Where is he?" 

Kai had to remember where he went before lessons started. "I think he goes in the prodigy lounge near one of the alchemy classes in the Level five wing." 

"Okay let's go there," Tam said. 

They all agreed and walked quickly that way, and as she walked, Kai noticed a lot of prodigies were watching her while she walked with the others. She knew it wouldn't be long before word got out that she was hanging out with them. 

"Okay let me go in first," Kai said when they walked to the door. "It will seem suspicious to the others in there if your all with me and we want to talk to him." 

"Just be fast," Tam said quietly. The others nodded and Kai headed into the room. 

She saw Zayne and Gracelyn sitting close on one of the couches, while Amaria and a few others were around the room. Kai's cousin Gemma was also there. 

She said hello to everyone, most of them she hadn't seen while she was in the healing center. 

"Zayne how's it going?" Kai asked as she sat down on the other side of him. 

"I'm good," He said. "Are you good?" 

Kai could tell that he knew this was not just a normal visit. 

"Yeah I'm good... I just need to talk to you later," Kai said quietly. "At my house after school." 

Zayne tried to hide his surprise when she mentioned her house, but he wasn't very good and Gracelyn scrunched her eyebrows in confusion. 

"Umm, yeah. I'll meet you after school," Zayne said quietly. "But I'm bringing Grace," 

Gracelyn looked very confused, so Kai knew that he hadn't told her about him being in the Neverseen before. 

"Umm, what?" She said. 

"Gracelyn will you come with me to Kai's house after school?" Zayne murmured under his breath. "I need to tell you something." 

"What is happening?" She whispered. 

Zayne glanced at Kai. "Will the others be there?" 

Kai nodded. "And you'll have to tell her if she's there." 

"Just come and I'll tell you everything," He said to Gracelyn. "Please, we really need to talk." 

Gracelyn bit her lip nervously, but nodded her agreement. Kai grabbed Zayne's hand and squeezed it thankfully. 

"Thank you, Zayne," She whispered. "I'll make sure she doesn't hate you."