Chapter 37

Kai watched Sophie stare at her imparter for hours. It was getting boring... like really boring. She could tell that Sophie was about ready to have a meltdown after Elwin said that she'd need even more rest once she got home, but instead, she just stared back at her imparter. 

Thankfully, Keefe marched into the healing center unannounced, like usual. 

"Woah it's like walking into a cloud of sulk in here," He said fanning the air away from his face. "I mean, I figured that you'd be feeling a little lost without your Cognate buddy, but trust me: Fitzy isn't worth this much angst."

"I am not pouting about Fitz," Sophie told him. 

But she totally was. She had been staring at her imparter for hours waiting for him to call. 

"Ah, so you admit you are pouting?" He asked as he sat down on her cot. 

"She's definitely pouting," Kai said. 

Sophie just rolled her eyes and shrugged. 

"Hmm. This might be more moping than Krakie can handle- I guess it's a good thing I brought him a friend!" Keefe said enthusiastically. 

He pulled out a prattles box and that's when Kai zoned out. She could not handle Keefe's flirting and Sophie being oblivious. She thought about Zayne, and why he'd joined the Neverseen. 

Kai hadn't ever known that Zayne had a sister. Of course, that's what his parents wanted, but it still felt like he should have told her. She knew that was terrible to think, but she had always wished that someone out there understood her pain. 

No one really did though. 

"TO THE SECRET CAFETERIA!" Keefe shouted. 

Kai flinched so hard that she fell out of her cot. Which made Ro burst into laughter as Keefe and Sophie walked out of the center. Kai slowly got back into her cot and rubbed a spot on her leg that hit the side of the cot. 

Once they were gone, Kai continued to be lost in her thoughts. She couldn't figure out how Zayne would have known that Sophie and Fitz were in the hidden room. If he knew... then that means that the Neverseen knew. 

The center suddenly became quiet. Too quiet and too dark, Kai called for Elwin. 

Silence was the only reply. 

Kai felt her breathing race to an unhealthy pace and the flashbacks flooded her memory. She remembered the shadows coming for her. She remembered the pain, it felt like a frozen knife sinking into her skin. 

Kai felt like she was out of her own body when she screamed. 

The Neverseen knew where she was.

"Kai!" a familiar voice was yelling at her, but she wasn't listening. 

The darkness fought over her and she screamed again. 

"Just drink this," the voice told her and a cool liquid slid down her throat. 

It was sweet. It was too sweet, and Kai gagged. The sedative made her cry out and choke. She didn't want to be back in the restless and dark nothing again. 

Time under a sedative is weird. Kai didn't know if an hour had passed or a month, but when she did open her eyes again, it was bright. Although the light burned her eyes it was much better than the cold darkness.

Kai heard the voices before she saw anyone. It was Mr. Forkle and Sophie. That means that it probably hadn't been that long. 

"Ugh," Kai groaned as she sat up. 

Sophie and Mr. Forkle stared at her and Elwin rushed over with a light orb already ready to check her. 

"What happened?" Kai asked. 

Elwin looked at her sympathetically. "I came back into the healing center last night, and you were screaming," 

Kai flinched as she remembered. 

"I had to sedate you so you didn't hurt yourself," 

Suddenly Kai jolted up. She remembered the thing that triggered her. 

"The Neverseen know where we are," Kai blurted. 

Everyone in the room stared at her blankly. 

"Zayne knew that Fitz and Sophie were in the hospital," Kai said. Forkle's eyebrows scrunched tightly. 

"He did?" 

"Yes!" She said. "They've were in there before he left, how else would he know unless the Neverseen knows." 

 "How..." Sophie muttered. 

"I don't know, but they have to know," Kai said. 

Forkle shook his head sadly. "Unfortunately, I do believe that the Neverseen is somehow always quite a few steps ahead of us." 

Dex suddenly burst into the room. "Okay, I'm here," He announced. "Now tell me where we're going."

"That's all you have to say to Miss Foster?" Forkle asked. "No comment on the fact that she's finally out of bed and leaving the healing center?" 

Dex looked back at Sophie and smiled. "Yay- glad you're doing better!" He said before turning back towards Forkle. "Okay no more stalling. Tell us where we're going." 

"Somewhere I think you're both going to find very useful," Forkle said. 

"That better not be your whole answer," Sophie said rolling her eyes. 

"Yeah and why did I have to ditch Lovise?" Dex asked.

Kai didn't know who Lovise was, but obviously, it was weird that Dex had to ditch her. 

"You did?"  Sophie asked. 

Dex answered telling her that he had to give his triplet siblings a bunch of elixirs to convince them to distract her.  

"I'll make sure the campus is prepared," Forkle said. 

Kai stopped listening there and began to wonder how Forkle could prepare the school. Was he really that connected... or was there another reason?