Chapter 28: Apollo

14 years later

"Baby!"
"Mhm?" I asked. He came to me and kissed my cheek, his beard stubbles ticking the side of my face, "Good morning."
I smiled and held his hand, the ring on his ring finger cold against my hand.
"You're on breakfast duty." He clicked his teeth. 
I smiled and got up, "What does Phoenix want?" I asked.
"I don't know, go ask her." 

I glared at him and headed upstairs, going to my 13 year old daughter's bedroom.
I knocked on the door, saying in 'sing-song', "Phoenix, good morning!"
I heard her get up from her bed and she opened her door, "What?" Her voice was cold.
"What do you want for breakfast?"
"I'm not hungry." She slammed the door in my face and i sighed heavily, heading back downstairs.
She had always been cold to us, we adopted her when she was 9 but she never seemed to care. I love her nonetheless.

"What'd she say?" Erebus asked.
"Guess" I said, annoyed.
"I'm not hungry, fuck off, slams door in your face?" He asked.
I laughed half-heartedly, "Basically.."
"Guess nobody is on breakfast duty, get your ass over here." He patted next to him on the couch.

I sighed and slumped down on the couch, placing my hand on my forehead.

"What's up, love?" He asked.
I sighed again and leaned my head back, "Well our daughter is rude to us even after everything.. I just wonder what's up with her.."
He laughed and wrapped his arm around my shoulder, "She's not used to us."
I raise my eyebrows, "Oh no, four years definitely isn't enough time to at least learn to fake her love for us.."
He smiled and massaged my left shoulder, "Take her shopping or something.. She likes hot topic and boba -whatever that is-."
I smiled, "Good idea.."

I got up and grabbed my wallet, heading upstairs and knocking on her door.
"What do you want this time?!" She groaned as she pulled the door open, annoyed.
I shrugged, "Fine, i wont take you shopping." 
She sighed, "Is that what you want or is it a bribe?"
"Both, get ready, you have no choice and you are held captive until there is a watermelon 'boba' and shopping bags in your hands." I  smiled at her.
She rolled her eyes and shut the door.

I got ready and waited downstairs, she came down wearing a black skirt with a pink and black striped long sleeved baggy shirt, ripped black tights and some combat boots, her black eyeliner sharp and even, her face pale, and her phone in hand.

"Lets go missy." I stood up and saw Erebus standing, "Where do you think you're going?" I asked.
"With you guys if you're paying.." He joked.
"Nuh uh, you sit down. First, you made me do breakfast twice in a row and didn't even go upstairs for Phoenix."
"C'mon babe.."
"Ill get you something while we're there.. Just don't do anything stupid while we are gone.." I rolled my eyes and placed my wallet in my pocket.

Me and Phoenix walked to the car and i opened the passenger door for her, she smacked my hand away, "I can do it myself.." She muttered.
I sighed and got in the driver side, driving down to the mall.

I got out and waited for her, she was texting on her phone, probably to her little boyfriend.
"Phoenix, hurry up." I pleaded.
"Shut up Apollo!" She screamed as she shoved her phone in her pocket and slammed the car door shut after getting out.

This hurt me.. My heart dropped to my stomach and a lump in my throat started to form, but i swallowed in and walked with her inside.

We got on the escalator and went up, headed to get boba and i paid 8 dollars for it, handing it to her.
She snatched it, drinking it as we got to hot topic, "So no thank you?" I asked quietly.
"I said shut up." She mumbled.
I snatched the drink out of her hand.
"What the hell Apollo?!" She screamed.

"You really hurt my feelings, Phoenix.." I said, slamming the drink back into her hand, pulling out my wallet and throwing it at her and she caught it just barely, "Go get what you want.. Ill be on the bench.." I said quietly.

Her eyes looked soft for the first time and she turned around, going into hot topic.
I scrolled on my phone, trying to not cry as i waited for her to return.

She came back with a few bags and handed me my wallet, "Lets go dad.." She whispered as she took my hand and dragged me to the car.

Dad.?

I almost cried.. She called me her dad..

I started to drive home, "What did you get?" I asked quietly.
"A skirt, some fishnets, a blanket, a hoodie, a stuffed animal, and some pins." She mumbled.
I nodded and turned into the driveway, getting out and opening the front door, leaving it open for her as i ran to Erebus.

"What is it?" He asked me, placing his phone down.
"She.. called me.." My eyes filled with tears.
"What did she say?" His eyes looked angry.
"D..Dad.." I started to cry tears of joy as i hugged him.
He gasped and hugged me back, "Oh my goodness.." He tightened his grip on me, almost lifting me up, his expression softening, no longer angry, but happy.

I smiled and wiped my tears right before Phoenix came in.

I followed her upstairs, "Phoenix?" I asked softly.
"Mhm?" She said, she was putting her stuff away.
"I love you.. okay?" I insisted.
Her eyes lit up as she looked at me, "Really?" She asked softly.
I nodded and before i knew it, she was hugging me.
I hugged her back and pet her head.
"Love you too dad.. Her face was red with embarrassment. I just smiled and left.

The rest of our years were good.. Raising a girl with a happy marriage, a few bumps on the way, but our hearts strong.

Some folktales do have happy endings, huh?

I love you, Erebus. I love you Phoenix..

More than anything..

I got finished writing the book, sighing and leaning back. 
"Our love story, huh?" Said Erebus.
"I didn't get to mention our number of wrinkles now." I joked.
He smiled as he read the last sentences, kissing me.
I kissed back and he pulled away,

"Love you too, Apollo."