Chapter 50

By nine in the evening, Lola Soledad and Ate Myrna are already in their own rooms. I'm gonna meet my parents at ten pero pwede ko pang mas agahan dahil maaga naman na natutulog sina Lola.

I looked at the clock and when it hit nine thirty, binuksan ko ang pintuan ko at dadang-dahang lumabas. The light on the sala is already out and the only thing that was on was the wall lamps. 

I tried to not make a sound and opened the main door as light as possible, it produced a small creaking sound and I stopped for a moment. My heart was suddenly beating fast and sweat was forming in my forehead, pinunasan ko ito gamit ang sleeves ng cardigan ko.

Muli akong sumubok at dahan-dahan itong binuksan, I made a space enough for me to get out and when I was able to get out, I closed it again slowly.

Saka lang ako nakahinga ng maluwag ng tuluyan na akong makalabas, I looked at the garage but I won’t be driving on my own. I grabbed a taxi earlier and instructed him to wait for me, to the house next to ours.  

Naglakad ako palabas at linock ang gate namin, I looked on the next house and saw the taxi already waiting for me. 

I got in as quickly as possible and provided him with the adress. Hindi naman na nagtanong si Kuyang driver but he kept on looking at me weirdly, or probably why am I sneaking in in the middle of the night.

It took us half an hour before we reached our destination and stopped in front of a not so high end condo building, it looked like the renovation was just finished. Malayo sa kung anong kinalakihan ko.

But just like what Lola said, my parents are financially unstable right now, and I even need to reclaim our home in Baguio. Saka ko na lang gagawin kapag naayos na namin ang kaso, and since I am here now, I am sure that case will be fix in no time.

The security guard opened the sliding door for me at sumalubong sa akin ang hindi kalakihan na lobby ng building. I just signed and told them my purpose and gave them my identification cards at kaagad na akong pumasok sa elevator.

My parents are on the 6th floor at kaagad naman akong nakarating. I opened my phone again and looked for my notes for my father’s messages and looked for their unit number. I have already deleted all our conversations, that is why. 

The hallway was narrow and the interior was a mix of old and modern style, some parts were renovated and some were not. 

I stopped in front of my father’s unit and breathed in deeply, hindi ko maiwasang makaramdam ng kabas, but at the same time I can’t help but feel happy and excited inside. Muli kong tinago ang cellphone ko pero bigla itong tumunog. 

I was startled for a moment when I saw El calling, and so I quickly answered it. 

Dumagundong ang kaba sa dibdib ko sa biglaan niyang tawag.

“Hello?” 

I heard him sighed heavily on the other line. “Why aren’t you asleep yet?”

Lumayo ako sa may pintuan at napatingin sa magkabilaan na hallway.

“Ginising ako ng tawag mo." I need to lie.

I fidgeted my fingers as I kept on looking both of my sides, baka mamaya may mag ingay at siguradong lagot ako kapag nagkataon. I fake a yawned, making sure that he heard it very well. 

“Okay, we’re not finished yet discussing, so sleep now.” He instructed stricly. 

He left early and up until now they haven't finished talking yet, so it must be something crucial to the case. Huminga ako ng malaim, I’m gonna be able to finish everything tonight and the case will be closed. I will make sure of it.