Chapter 7

Emma Smith

3 years later.

As I was rearranging the books that had been returned today at the library where I work, someone tapped on my shoulder.

Startled, I jumped. Ever since I left my pack, I had been on edge about everything.

"Did I scare you?" Henry asked, his expression serious.

"Yeah," I confessed, feeling embarrassed.

"I'm sorry," he apologized sincerely.

I nodded and went back to my work. I could sense his hesitation behind me before he finally asked, "So, it's almost lunchtime. Would you like to grab something to eat?"

"No, Henry," I replied, "I have a lot of pending work to finish."

He let out a sigh and stood there for a moment before eventually leaving me with the books.

Henry Johnson is the son of the library owner where I am employed. He is just a year older than me.

You're probably curious about how I landed this job, how I met him, and all that jazz.

Three years ago, when I left my pack, all I had were a few clothes, a pair of shoes, some everyday essentials, and some money I had saved up from working at a cafe as a waiter after school hours. It's not that I didn't have a lot of clothes or other belongings; I did. But since I didn't know where I was headed, I didn't bring much with me.

I arrived at the airport without a specific flight in mind. Luckily, I had a desire to visit New York City and managed to find a flight with available seats. I didn't want to risk being found by anyone else, especially my parents who I had asked not to search for me. Despite my note, I know they will try to locate me. I doubt Ashton will make an effort to find me after what I did to him.

I made the decision to live my life as a human among other humans. After rejecting Ashton, my wolf left me and never returned. No matter how many times I called out to her, she never appeared again. It was as if I had never had a wolf at all.

Upon arriving in New York, I felt lost. I had never been to this city before and didn't know anyone here. I found myself sitting in an airport chair, unsure of where to go next.

I was quietly sobbing to myself when Hudson Johnson, the father of Henry Johnson, noticed me. I will always be grateful to him for his kindness in choosing to help me during my difficult times without becoming suspicious of me.

I couldn't bring myself to tell him the truth - that I was a werewolf and the real reason why I had left my pack. Instead, I told him a fabricated story about something bad I had done, keeping my true nature a secret. He kindly offered to help by speaking to my parents on my behalf, but I politely declined his offer.

At first, he was skeptical, but he didn't see me as a bad person. It was a relief to know that he didn't view me as a threat. Perhaps he saw something in me that reassured him that I wasn't dangerous or harmful. He generously offered me a place to stay in his apartment and a job at his library, which he owned, until I could stand on my own two feet.

I am grateful for his understanding and support during this difficult time.

I have been working at this library for three years now, and I really enjoy it here. I have always been a bookworm, spending most of my time in the school and pack library back at home. Being here brings me closer to my pack.

I miss my parents, Ashton, Abigail, the alpha and luna, my pack, and my room, which was my safe haven. I can't fully express how much I miss everything and everyone.

They most likely resent me now, although my parents may not feel the same way. However, they are definitely very disappointed in me.

There's no going back at this point. They will never forgive me. Ashton probably has a girlfriend now, or maybe he has changed, settled down, and found someone worthy to be with.

So, what about me? I can't imagine myself falling in love or getting married. I have always been waiting for my soulmate, but that chapter is now closed. I have closed off that possibility for myself, and I have no intention of pursuing any romantic relationships.

I currently live in a small rented apartment. When I first started working at this library, I was just an employee. Now, I am the assistant librarian here, all thanks to Mr. Hudson for giving me this opportunity.

Henry kept me company while I was at his apartment. If you were to ask me if we are close, I would say no, at least not from my perspective. We were good friends, but not anymore. However, I believe Henry enjoys my company because he often comes in pretending to check on how things are going at work, but then lingers around me and leaves if I don't go out with him or something.

Actually, I wasn't the first one to figure it out, but Stacy, who also works here, told me that Henry has a crush on me. Ever since I found out, I've been avoiding him because I don't want to give him the wrong idea. However, we haven't had a direct conversation about it.

I could say that I am just living my life, going with the flow. But if you were to ask me if I am happy, the answer would be no. I feel empty.

I don't think I will ever find happiness again in this lifetime. I have to accept this void that I feel. One impulsive decision changed my life completely. But I have come to terms with it now.

Emma Smith, once the pride and joy of her parents and a loving friend to Ashton and Abigail, now feels like nothing more than an empty shell.

This is all life has come to now. I forced a smile in an attempt to lift my spirits, but tears silently flowed down my face. I sighed, realizing I had no option but to embrace the consequences of my actions, consequences that resulted from a thoughtless error.

............................................................................

Author's note: If you enjoyed this chapter, please vote and leave a comment. Thank you for taking the time to read this.