Chapter 23

Emma Smith

I was sitting at my desk in the library, engrossed in sorting out books, when I heard the familiar sound of the door opening. I looked up and saw Henry walking towards me with a nervous smile on his face. I can't explain the reason, but for some reason, I sense a change in him today.

"Hey, Emma," he said, his voice slightly shaky. "Can we talk for a moment?"

"Of course, Henry," I replied, keeping the books aside and giving him my full attention. "What's on your mind?"

I have been neglecting him for quite some time ever since Stacy informed me about his feelings towards me. However, with only 15 days left until I return home, I am finding it difficult to continue ignoring him and potentially causing him pain.

Furthermore, he is already aware of Ashton's existence in my life and should know that all I can offer him is friendship.

Out of the corner of my vision, I noticed Stacy's expression change to one of understanding and amusement. Although she is situated on the opposite end of the library, she has a clear view of all the ongoing activities; fortunately, she is unable to hear us.

He took a deep breath and looked into my eyes. "Emma, I need to tell you something. It's been on my mind for a while now, and I can't keep it to myself any longer. I love you."

I felt my heart pounding in my chest, and my mind went blank for a moment. I never expected Henry to confess his feelings for me. I thought he understood that I was committed to Ashton. What should I do now?

"Henry, I... I don't know what to say," I stammered, trying to find the right words. "I appreciate your honesty, but I love Ashton with all my heart. I can't imagine being with anyone else."

Henry's face fell, and I could see the pain in his eyes. "I understand, Emma. I know about your love for Ashton, but I couldn't help how I felt. I just had to let you know."

I could feel tears welling up in my eyes as I saw the hurt in his expression. "Henry, you're an amazing person, and I'm grateful to have you as a friend. But I can't change how I feel. I hope you understand."

He nodded, his voice barely a whisper. "I do, Emma. I just had to try. I promise, I'll always be your friend, no matter what."

I reached out and took his hand, giving it a gentle squeeze. "Thank you, Henry. That means a lot to me. You're a wonderful friend, and I don't want to lose that," I continued, saying, "You know what? I think one day, you will meet your soulmate, and the current pain you are experiencing will transform into joy because of their presence."

He chuckled shakily, his face devoid of genuine emotion. "I doubt I'll ever fall in love again."

My heart was in pain. I'm at a loss for words with him. Some things must be left alone to heal. I just hope he finds the love of his life and lives a happy life with them one day.

We sat in silence for a while, both of us lost in our own thoughts. It was a bittersweet moment, knowing that our friendship would never be the same again. But I was grateful for Henry's honesty and his understanding.

As we said our goodbyes, I couldn't help but feel a pang of sadness. I knew that Henry's heart was broken, and I wished there was something I could do to ease his pain. But sometimes, love just doesn't work out the way we want it to.

I returned to my books, attempting to concentrate on my work, but my thoughts kept returning to Henry and his heartbroken expression.

After a while, I sat in a corner of the library, surrounded by shelves upon shelves of books as I continued to work.