Chapter 12

Emma Smith

"Will you believe me if I say I wasn't going to reject you?" he asked, his eyes searching mine for a glimmer of trust.

I shook my head, tears welling up in my eyes. "No," I replied, my voice filled with a mix of pain and uncertainty. "I can't believe that, Ash. Not after everything that's happened."

Ashton's face fell, his shoulders slumping in defeat. He nodded, his expression crestfallen, and his eyes welling up with unshed tears.

●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●

His behavior baffled me. Why was he acting this way? It's not like he wasn't going to reject me. He intended to do so. So, what's the deal with this behavior?

"Would you...?" he licked his lips, his nervousness evident. He stumbled over his words, his voice barely audible. "Will you ever accept me if I say I want to give this a shot?" he inquired, his eyes searching mine for a glimmer of hope.

Is he asking me what I think he's asking? My heart skipped a beat as I tried to process his words. "Give what a shot?" I asked softly, my voice filled with anticipation.

He didn't say anything at first, his fingers nervously running through his hair. "Um, a chance at being your mate?" he stumbled out, his voice laced with uncertainty.

I was stunned, my mind struggling to comprehend the situation. Is this actually happening? Is Ashton Williams expressing interest in accepting his mate? The possibility sent a surge of excitement through me, but I couldn't let myself get carried away. I didn't want to get my hopes up. What if he is acting this way because of his wolf? What if he doesn't want to? Doubts and fears crept into my mind, threatening to overshadow the moment.

"How do I know that..." I began, my voice trailing off as the sound of the doorbell interrupted me.

I let out a sigh, feeling frustrated by the timing. I looked at Ashton, who had a scowl on his face, mirroring my own emotions.

"I will look into that," I said awkwardly, my mind still reeling from the unexpected turn of events, as I made my way towards the door.

"What are you doing here, Henry?" I inquired with a frown, my surprise evident as I opened the door and saw Henry standing there.

I wasn't expecting Henry to show up at my door out of all the people in the world. His presence only added to the confusion and complexity of the situation.

"Hello, Emma. I went to the library to check up on you, but I found out you left with your father," he explained, his expression solemn. His concern for me was evident in his eyes.

"Um, well, actually..." I hesitated, unsure of how to explain my complicated situation to someone who had no knowledge of werewolves, mates, or the predicament I found myself in.

As I pondered my response, I could hear Ashton's confident footsteps approaching us. As he came closer, his presence seemed to fill the air, making it hard to ignore his arrival.

"Hey, buddy," Ashton greeted, his voice suddenly transforming into a charming and friendly tone. It was as if he had flipped a switch, effortlessly switching from his serious demeanor from earlier to a more approachable attitude.

I couldn't help but let out an exasperated sigh, my eyes rolling at his obvious attempt to impress. Ashton had always been one to put on a show, and it seemed like today was no exception.

Henry, who had been standing beside me, looked at Ashton with a puzzled expression. He then quickly regained his composure and extended his hand for a handshake. Ashton eagerly accepted, but I could see the discomfort on Henry's face as Ashton's grip tightened. Despite the pain, Henry remained silent, allowing Ashton to assess him.