Chapter 6: A Meeting

The ship slowly creeped towards the harbour while Peter and Wanda got the last of their things packed again. They eagerly awaited the all clear to leave the ship and waited impatiently in their room. Wanda especially couldn’t seem to calm down again, as she hoped to see her brother soon. Now, Peter has obviously never been on a cruise ship before, but he felt like the time until they were finally allowed to leave the ship was moving incredibly slowly. In the end, it took them close to two hours of waiting until they were called to leave the ship. Thankfully, Peter thought about giving themselves the American citizenship when using their fake names to speed up the process in the US. Once they were back on land, they quickly got everything in order (thanks to Wanda’s powers) and left the harbour under the morning sun.

Wanda looked impressed by the high buildings she could spot in the distance, while Peter remembered the last time he was in New York. Back then, he had his only failed mission and left the city with his enhancements. He was also relatively sure that he lived somewhere in New York with his parents before they were killed and he was kidnapped, but wasn’t sure about that since many years passed since that fateful day. Impatiently, Wanda called for a taxi to take them to the Avengers Tower, but Peter slowed her down. It wouldn’t be the wisest thing to arrive at the tower with suitcases in their hands and no idea on how to get to the Avengers. Instead, he proposed to check into a hotel close to the harbour (the little money they had left probably wouldn’t even get them one day in Manhattan) and form a plan there. Reluctantly, Wanda agreed to his proposal and so they walked towards the worn hotel sign she spotted down the road they were currently on.

After a short walk during which Peter told Wanda as much as he could about the city they reached the old hotel and got themselves a room for the night. They didn’t plan on staying there for the night, but it was still a spot to leave their luggage for the time being. Soon after they freshened up in their room they left it again to go and gather some intel on the tower. Therefore, they called a taxi and travelled towards it. Traffic was absolutely terrible which meant that the trip took them close to an hour. Impatient from all the sitting in the taxi with nothing else to do Wanda nearly jumped out of the car as soon as it came to a final stop. Peter quickly paid for the ride while Wanda starred up at the impressive tower.

Peter joined her in looking at the tower before Wanda stated: “It looks like a few windows at the top are broken. Do you think there is something wrong?” Looking up at the tower Peter indeed spotted a few broken windows.

“I have no idea. But we should probably try to get in there, as I don’t think they will just let us upstairs if we ask. If you wait here I could climb up the wall and take a look”, Peter said and pulled the hood of his jacket over his head.

Wanda looked at him questioningly before asking: “You do realise that I could just fly up there myself, right? But if you insist that only you should check it out for now I guess I will just wait in that coffee shop back there.” She pointed at a bight little shop behind them and put her hand out, expecting Peter to give her some money.

“You know what, how about you we get on top of the building next to the tower and see what we can learn from there. If the coast if clear we can always just get to the other side with our powers”, Peter suggested, surprising Wanda in the process.

“I do think that you simply think that I had too much coffee in the past few days and don’t want me having any more”, Wanda complained with a smirk. “But I do want to see everything for myself, so we will do it your way. How do you propose that we get up there?” she continued, pointing at the highest neighbouring building.

“Well, I would say we simply get in a back alley, climb up and hope nobody sees us. You can just ride on my back to get up”, Peter explained. Wanda nodded and with that, they made their way to a back alley. When they found one, it wasn’t as remote as Peter would have liked and there were many windows to avoid, but they just had to go for it now Peter figured. Wanda climbed on his back and held on tight before Peter carefully started the climb. Floor by floor Peter climbed higher while Wanda hung on even tighter the higher they got.