Chapter 21: Moving On

The next few weeks and months were busy for Peter and Wanda to say the least. Their move to their new apartment in Queens went reasonably well, especially since all the Avengers helped as much as they could. Couple that with Wanda’s ability to simply float everything upstairs and the move was completed in just two days. Steve also thought about moving out of the Compound after seeing Peter and Wanda in their own place for a few days and was currently looking at apartments in Brooklyn.

Probably the biggest shock for the newlyweds came with Wanda’s next appointment with the gynaecologist. As it turned out, there was a rather simple reason for why Wanda began to show earlier than the book Peter bought predicted. She was having twins. After Peter and Wanda recovered from the initial shock, they were elated with the news. The only problem was now, that they would have to move sooner rather than later again, as their apartment was definitely on the smaller side for two babies.

Another big surprise was Bruce’s return in September. He somehow managed to merge with the Hulk and now permanently looked like the big green Avenger, while keeping his mind for himself all the time. Wanda was especially glad about that development, after she saw how much the scientist struggled with himself during the fight with Thanos and in the immediate aftermath of it. If that was the best solution he could come up with that satisfied Bruce himself, then Wanda was happy for him.

Other than buying stuff for their unborn babies and storing it in the spare room of their apartment, Peter and Wanda mainly looked for a house to live in. That was also the main reason for why they decided not to decorate a kids room already, as they preferably wanted to move before the birth and didn’t want to decorate a room twice.

At least once or twice a week, the couple visited their friend at the Compound upstate. Natasha was absolutely thrilled about the prospect of being the honorary aunt for two babies. Peter figured it was kind of sweet how the deadly woman, who couldn’t get any children herself, became an overly protective aunt for two kids that were not even born yet. In fact, Natasha gifted Peter and Wanda so many toys for the kids that Peter had to intervene, as there was no way that their kids would need that many toys when they were old enough to use them.

Wanda on the other side found it absolutely hilarious how much Natasha was into the pregnancy. She felt a bit bad for Pepper though, who was pregnant herself and did not have such a strong support system. Of course, Peter, Wanda and also Steve visited her from time to time, but overall Wanda had the feeling that she has been a bit lonely in the past few months after Peter and Wanda’s wedding.

One thing where Bruce was very interested in was the development of the babies and their potential enhancements. He took – with Peter and Wanda’s permission obviously – a DNA test of the unborn babies and just as Hydra predicted all those years ago, Peter’s enhancements were truly present in the kid’s DNA. However, there were no signs of Wanda’s enhancements in them, which was also something Hydra predicted. They would have to wait and see if those would be passed on.

Wanda’s enhancements behaved weird during the pregnancy anyway. It was a regular occurrence that things started to float in their apartment, often while Wanda did something as simple as watching TV. Peter found it hilarious when a pot of flowers or some other random object made its way to Wanda’s side. It took Wanda a few days to get used to that, during which she regularly got spooked by the floating objects, which caused them to crash to the ground. Once she did get used to it however, Wanda simply moved the objects back to their original location with an annoyed expression on her face.

The months passed and soon it was December. Wanda was in the seventh month of her pregnancy already and was ready for the whole thing to be over already. Peter tried to make life as easy as possible for her but stubborn as Wanda liked to be, she mostly refused Peter’s help. She always said that if she needed something, she could simply use her powers to do so. In general, the weird behaviour of her powers subsided over the course of the last two months. Now, Wanda was back in full control of her enhancements.