Chapter 14: On the Run Again

During the flight to Finland, Steve and Bucky explained the others what happened in Siberia. Apparently, Zemo never intended to use the other Winter Soldiers. Instead, he murdered them in cold blood while they were frozen. His actual intention was to draw the Avengers, especially Steve and Tony, there and drop the fact that the Winter Soldier has murdered Tony’s parents all those years ago. It went about as well as anybody could have expected. Tony was enraged and when Steve told him the truth, namely that he knew that Bucky, even though he wasn’t himself, has killed his parents, a fight broke out between them. Tony wanted to kill Bucky for that and Steve wasn’t going to let him just murder his friend. In the end, Steve managed to defeat Tony after a long fight and escaped with Bucky. They met with King T’Challa, who originally also planned to kill Bucky for murdering his father, but held off from doing that after he learned that it wasn’t Bucky after all. Instead he captured Zemo and invited Steve and Bucky to come to Wakanda, should they need help at some point.

After that, the two of them thought of a way to break into the Raft to free their friends, which led them to this point.

“Hey Steve. Thanks again for getting us out of there. I owe you a big one,” Peter said as they approached the Finish coast. He and Wanda have barely left each other’s touch since they got out of their cells.

“Don’t mention it. You would have done the same for me,” Steve told him with a smile.

“Still, it was a great thing to do,” Peter doubled down. “So what’s the plan now? Do you have any safe houses lined up?” he asked Steve after a while.

“I managed to get us a cabin in the north. We can stay there for now,” Steve explained.

“And party like there is no tomorrow obviously. In Finland even you and Wanda are allowed to drink, not that anybody would care,” Sam shouted from the co-pilots seat.

Peter shook his head at Sam’s enthusiasm and turned back to Wanda, who watched that whole exchange with a smile on her face.

“Can you even get drunk? With your metabolism being that high?” Wanda asked him curiously.

“Only one way to find out,” Peter laughed, looking forward to the ‘experiment’. Wanda smiled at Peter and laid her head back on Peter’s shoulder, deciding to catch maybe a few minutes of sleep before they were going to land. Soon she was sleeping heavily, still with a smile on her face, and Peter dreaded that he had to wake her up shortly.

It only took Steve a few more minutes to fly the jet to their destination, where he gently sat the quinjet down in a clearing in a forest. Their surroundings were covered in snow and they had to fight through it to get to the cabin. After a short walk, during which a still sleepy Wanda used her powers to clear the way, they reached a small wooden cabin.

“I am not sure if we have enough bedrooms for everyone, so some of you might have to sleep on the couch,” Steve explained as they entered the cabin. Sam instantly got a fire going in the fireplace and called dibs on the couch, saying it’s probably the warmest place in the whole cabin. Wanda on the other side searched the cabin for a room for her and Peter, preferring a normal bed to an old couch any day of the week. In the end, Wanda and Peter, as well as Clint and Scott got a room. Sam would use the couch in front of the fire and Steve and Bucky would use a simple sleeping bag.

However, before they went to bed, Sam opened the Whiskey bottle he found in the kitchen. It was only one bottle, so there was not enough to get anybody of them completely drunk, not with three people with an enhanced metabolism present. Wanda gladly took the first glass and downed it in one go, excited about the prospect of drinking alcohol for the first time. Sadly, she was not prepared for the burning feeling in her throat and she instantly started coughing, which made Sam and Clint roll over from all their laughing. Peter took pity on her and downed his glass in one go as well, which subsequently put him in a similar state as his girlfriend.