Chapter 15: All Across Europe and the World

It took Peter and Wanda many months to get fully used to their life on the run. They changed location few weeks and never really stayed anywhere for too long. They also only had each other as company for the entire time. Steve, Sam and Natasha lived somewhere in Syria, still trying to disband that terrorist group. From time to time, they called each other, but overall they had little contact with the other rogue Avengers. The one thing that bothered both Peter and Wanda the most was that they have not seen May or Pietro for over a year now. Whenever they moved to a new location again, they sent each one of them a postcard from their previous city, to let them at least know that they were fine. However, they never received an answer, which was to be expected since they never left an address, but it still was tough on Peter and Wanda.

Right now, they lived in a small apartment in Cannes and Peter was currently starting to plan for both Valentine’s Day and Wanda’s birthday, since they were both coming up soon. He intended to take her out for dinner both days and just make those two days as special as Wanda deserves.

Wanda was sitting in their little kitchen and studied French. Every time they changed country, Wanda started to study the language of said country, so she could actually understand the locals. Obviously, they never stayed long enough in a country for her to perfect the language, but she at least had some decent knowledge in it after their stays. When Peter entered the apartment after he went grocery shopping, Wanda looked up to her boyfriend.

“I hate this language,” she complained to him, “At least Italian and Spanish were easy to pronounce, this is just confusing all around.”

Peter smiled at her apparent annoyance. She has complained about French for a few days now and Peter was sure that she would soon ask him for help. Up until this point, she always declined Peter’s help when she learned a new language, as she wanted to learn it herself.

“I am sure you will get the hang of it soon,” Peter encouraged her, before he greeted her with a kiss.

“That’s easy for you to say, you learned like 15 languages before you were twelve,” Wanda said and gave him another kiss. “Did you get me anything?” she asked Peter and eyed the grocery bag curiously.

“You know I did,” Peter answered and grabbed a French sweet Wanda grew to love in their six weeks here.

Wanda eagerly took the sweet and ate it quickly. “You are simply the best, Peter,” Wanda told him. “Sometimes I wonder if we should have come here in the summer. I think it would have been amazing at the beach and in the sea,” Wanda continued after a while.

“Yeah, that would have been nice. Also, any excuse to see you in your bikini again is a good excuse,” Peter teased.

Peter started to cook dinner afterwards and Wanda turned on the TV to watch whatever French show was on right now. She found that that helped her a lot in learning a new language. Soon, Peter finished cooking and they came together to eat the meal. Once again, Peter cooked a very good meal. In the last year, he has come a long way from the young man who couldn’t even make himself breakfast, all thanks to Wanda’s teachings.

After dinner, Wanda asked Peter, “Have you already bought the postcards for May and Pietro?” She liked to have them prepared, in case they had to bail from their hiding spot early. That way their families would still have a chance to know where they have been recently.

“I bought them today. I hope you like them,” Peter replied and went to his coat to get the two cards. He handed them to Wanda, who inspected them thoroughly. When Wanda chose the one she was going to send to Pietro, Peter asked her, “Do you want to write them right now?”

Wanda gave him her affirmation and started writing. They have decided that Wanda would always write Pietro’s card and Peter would write the one for May. Soon, the room was filled with the noise of pens going over paper, with nothing else to hear. After a few minutes, Wanda was done with her card and handed it to Peter to sign.