The Mountain's Princess

Andromeda had never seen the sky or the stars, but that never mattered to the young fey princess. The sky was never something she expected to rule one day. All she needed lay within her promised domain in the darkened caverns Under the Mountain provided. Still, that promise would not stop her mind from wandering amidst her dreams with flashes of a horizon she held no memory of outside of written descriptions. Endless darkness broken apart by small, tinkling lights that make patterns as far as the eye can see. Stars. Not that they mattered, the princess silently reprimanded each morning, they were not hers. Still, they haunted her unconscious mind.

          Dressed in finery that could only be expected of somebody in her position, Andromeda strutted through the cavern halls lit dimly with fae lights. Fabric of deep ruby with intricate gold weaving trailed behind her as she walked, head of long, obsidian curls held high with a smirk adorning her features, in step with the taller male beside her. The pair were a common sight within the court, as the betrothed to the princess was also tasked with accompanying her if her maid was not around. As Andromeda became older, she far preferred the company of the male beside her as opposed to the old crone who would watch over her as if she were still a child. At least Eris was entertaining to talk to, even if he was still far more serious and uptight than herself. Eris never seemed to mind when Andromeda called upon him though. No, the Vanserra heir was always happy to provide his company and protection to the princess.

           Tonight was like the many nights before it. Finish her studies, before calling on Eris to walk her through the court to the dining chamber where she would meet her mother and father for dinner, then post-dinner entertainment in the throne room with their subjects.

          "Will you be joining us for dinner, Eris?" Andromeda asked the handsome male, walking with his arms crossed behind his back. Ever the gentleman.

          "I am afraid not, princess. Duty calls upon me."

          "Pity my mother couldn't wait until after the meal. It's sure to be a bore without you," Andromeda dramatically sighed, with a teasing grin. Eris smiled at the girl, his eyes brightening ever so slightly. His smile always caused flutters within Andromeda. A dazzling grin to break up the prim and proper, stern face he typically held.

          "I'm sure you won't be bored for long. Not with what your mother has planned for tonight," Eris alluded. He paused before looking up and down the empty corridor, mischief gleaming in his eyes as he bent down, leaning close to whisper, "Word has it some members of the Dawn court were caught with a treasonous plan."

          Andromeda's eyebrows lifted at that as goosebumps ran down the crook of her neck where his whisper touched, her mouth forming an 'oh' as she continued to walk along the dim path. Her mother did not take kindly to treason so tonight was indeed shaping into a spectacle.

          "Post-meal entertainment then. Good, today was shaping up to be so dreadfully boring, I thought I would have to claw my eyes out for some fun."

          The dramatics got a chuckle out of Eris as the two stopped in front of the entrance of the royal family's dining hall. Hand on the door, Eris turned toward the princess.

          "Can't lose those pretty eyes, can we?" Eris pulled the door open, taking Andromeda's hand as he led her into the room. Andromeda bowed her head slightly to contain her blush.

          Queen Amarantha already was sitting at the head of the table, with Andromeda's father further down on her right. The space further down the left side of the table was left open for the princess. Eris bowed toward the queen before he walked the princess to her spot, pulling her chair out for her, bowing to her, and planting a soft kiss on Andromeda's hand.