The Game Begins

The weeks following the newfound truce between Andromeda and her father were unlike anything the princess had ever known. Within the span of a single night, Andromeda had gained a father who cared enough about her to lay down everything for her and powers that held promise for their eventual stand against her mother. The time since had been filled with private conversations between the father and daughter where Andromeda finally learned the full truth behind Amarantha's rise to power within the Fae territory and the curse placed on the Spring Court with a quickly approaching deadline.

          "Is there any way we can check on the court? Just to see if they are close to breaking the curse?" Andromeda had asked during one of their late-night talks.

          Her father was not keen on trusting the Spring Court though. "If they were going to manage it, it would have already happened. Amarantha made this curse knowing the chances of Lord Tamlin succeeding were near impossible."

          "Surely there is something we could do to help?"

          "You leave that to me. All you need to focus on is continuing the act of the obedient princess."

          That conversation had stuck with Andromeda for days past. With everything she knew now, she couldn't just stand back and do nothing. If her father had his way though, Andromeda would do just that. The defiant face of the murdered fae female from that fated night kept flashing through her thoughts. The fae female had stood for something and sneered in the face of death, refusing to back down from her cause. Andromeda wanted to be like that.

          The day after her father told her to stand down, Andromeda crafted her own plan.

          Fae periods were no joke. Unfortunately, Andromeda's plans required her to not wallow in the comfort of her bed as her body was riddled with aches. The dinner that evening was like any other, only with Amarantha badgering her daughter about any potential powers seeping through. As far as her mother knew, Andromeda was showing signs of basic fae magic, but nothing more. The Queen was not pleased by this.

          Eris Vanserra sat beside Andromeda on her end of the table, comfortably conversing with her mother as if they were old friends. For all she knew, they were, given how awful of a male Lord Beron was according to her father. It was difficult to see Eris in the same light as the High Lord of Autumn, but Andromeda understood she couldn't trust anything she knew prior to a few nights ago.

          Dinner was nearing its close when Andromeda set her silverware down and cleared her throat for attention.

          "Mother," Andromeda bowed her head as a sign of respect, before raising her chin in defiance. "I wish to call upon my betrothal to Eris."

          Rhysand had been taking a slow sip of wine, and while his features did not change, Andromeda could feel his mental talons practically slamming against her mind. Schooling her features, she kept her focus on her mother's growing amusement. Eris remained silent at her side.

          "Oh?" Amarantha questioned, a mocking glint in her cold eyes. "My apologies, Eris. It seems the princess has lost any sense of formality."

          "Initiative is hardly a negative quality in a potential ruler, with all due respect, your Highness," Eris responded without missing a beat. 

          Andromeda knew he was roughly the same age as her father, if not older. Eris Vanserra knew the game of politics and power. Depending on his stance, he could be a solid ally to the princess. No matter where he stood though, Andromeda needed his end of the marriage bargain to be fulfilled. With their joining, she held more cards to play against her mother should it come to it.