A Deadline Met

The next couple of days were a haze for Andromeda. A cycle of fake, vicious smiles in public as she has had to resume the new role of feared torturer after the Mountain's court witnessed her cruel acts, and time alone with her father where Rhysand usually aided in quieting her mind enough for her to sleep. The father and daughter waited with bated breath to see if the Spring Court would pull through with breaking the curse with the help of their still-alive human girl. Her father seemed to speak highly of the girl so Andromeda held some hope.

          Eris had been around more than usual, especially with word spreading amongst the court of their official engagement. The two hung around each other more and more, playing into the act of them being excited lovers. While her father wasn't too enthused by this new act, Andromeda was happy to have true company in somebody other than her father.

          Andromeda did her best to avoid the main hall where the Attor had so graciously hung Clare Beddor's body as a trophy for all to see. When asked about it, she brushed it off by claiming she had smelt enough disgusting human blood for a lifetime. Between Eris and her time with her father, Andromeda was able to make it through the day, though she started to feel more and more like a character as she did so.

          "How have you managed to stay sane all these decades?" Andromeda had asked her father one night.

          He didn't need to ask her what he meant. "I remember home. What and who I'm protecting by keeping up my act."

          Without thinking, Andromeda responded, "It must be nice. To know a world outside of this one."

          It wasn't meant to make her father feel bad, but the pain from her words had distorted his features before he could stop it.

          "Let me share some of my home with you," he offered, "as a promise of what will be yours once we are out of here."

          Her father showed her Velaris, his true home in the Night Court, for the first time that night. The City of Dreamers, he had called it. He shared glimpses of his home, his frequent hang-out spots, memories of him and his family on holidays, music from his favorite musicians, and finally, the stars that shined upon his home. This had taken Andromeda aback.

          "Those flashes of the stars. I've seen those before!"

          Rhysand smiled, a true, dazzling smile. "I tried to send them over whenever I could. I couldn't bear the thought of my child never knowing what the stars looked like."

          Needless to say, Andromeda was touched by the amount of love her father held for her, despite him being a near stranger only two months ago. The fact that he could still be the person he was after everything he had been put through, Andromeda knew she had to keep pushing through. Despite it all, they were stronger together and would soon find a way to be rid of her mother and this false court forever.

          According to her father, today was the day. Today was the end of the forty-nine years that the curse upon the Spring Court had been laid. Andromeda kept waiting for some wave of magic. Some signs that the curse was broken. Anything. Her father claims that magic will return to its full power immediately after the curse is broken so Andromeda remained aware of every bit of magical energy wherever she went.

          The hours ticked by though and nothing changed.

          Andromeda reached out to her father multiple times to confirm that he had his days correct and met the same reassurance every time. So she kept waiting.