Droplets

The sky was grey today, a storm threatening them from the horizon. Andromeda particularly enjoyed the buzz in the air throughout the more open areas of the House of Wind. Breathing in the humid air, the female glanced across the landscape of Velaris at the base of the mountain. The city lights were shining, blazing against the dreary afternoon and she could make out the markets below preparing against the incoming weather. There was an excitement that flooded through her tired veins at the anticipation.

          Andromeda's mind was quiet as she toyed around with the stray shadow that had become her friend in her many moments of solitude. Since coming to the Night Court, her mental barriers had been built high and stood firm, not to keep anybody out but to keep herself in. While the mating bond has not been fulfilled, the bond has at least snapped into place on both sides. Despite Andromeda purposely not opening a mental connection to Lucien, she did not want to run the risk of even her emotions floating down the bond. She especially did not want to feel whatever emotions Lucien was grappling with on his end, out of fear for how bad they could be. She also wanted her emotions to be reigned in for her father's sake. The Lord had enough on his plate already. The last thing he needed was his moody daughter to get in the way of all of his important work. Luckily, he seemed to be dealing with his own demons so it created some distance between the two.

          A soft hum of music floated up from the city and Andromeda found herself humming along to the rich melody. She loved the cello in particular. Perhaps she could weasel her way into learning it? Surely, there had to be books about the instrument hiding somewhere within the library. 

          A light, steady breeze had begun during her time on the ledge. The breeze felt nice in the warmth of the Spring. Andromeda embraced the feel of the world against the skin that peeked from her top and trousers- another odd Night Court clothing trend: trousers. Her legs hung over the edge, swaying along to the music and the wind. She could feel the warm buzz of magic that surrounded the house and she figured that even if she did run the risk of falling over the edge, she wouldn't be harmed. Andromeda mindlessly wondered if that added touch had been made with the house or was added later.

          Gentle midnight talons raked at her fortified walls, snapping her from her daze as she looked over the lively city.

          "Meet me in the dining hall?" Her father's voice requested. His voice seemed warier than it had been, but Andromeda supposed he was only becoming more and more worn down over the previous days.

          Without responding with a confirmation, Andromeda scooped the shadow up and made her way out of her newest hiding spot and toward her father.

          Entering the dining hall, Andromeda found herself interrupting a hushed conversation between her father and his brothers. The shadow had snaked itself into a loop around her arm throughout their walk but quickly slithered down and back toward its master once Azriel's eyes met her own. Andromeda's lips tightened into an apologetic smile, though the male did not seem surprised or bothered by the wandering shadow.

          "Sandwich?" her father casually offered, sliding a plate to the spot next to his space at the head of the table. Andromeda took her seat and stared at the males expectantly. She had not been invited to any of the previous meetings so she was more curious as to why she was now than she was hungry, yet she accepted the sandwich.

          Cassian's eyes were on her, hard and clouded as if he was deep in thought. The bigger Illyrian male admittedly frightened her. Between his hulking size, unfriendly gaze, and the fact that he was the War General, Andromeda couldn't help but feel intimidated by him. Sure, she knew she was safe considering she was his High Lord's daughter, but Andromeda got the feeling that the male despised her. Regardless, she didn't want to run from this meeting, a chance to be involved in the Court.