A New Prisoner

The cavern emptied out quickly after the task was completed. With Amarantha's sour mood, few were foolish enough to stick around. Eris had attempted to pick up Andromeda to escort her back to her chambers, the princess seeing the concern laced with his usual neutral expressions. Amarantha had sent him away though, Tamlin still holding the younger female within his grasp. Rhysand had even attempted to casually interfere, bold as it was, but couldn't object when the queen also waved him away. Soon enough, all that remained was the trio and the guards who went to work unchaining Lucien from the chamber.

          Andromeda tried to keep her eyes on the male below to ensure he was removed gently, but as her mother turned her ire toward herself, her survival instincts went on high alert. Her cautious gaze followed as Amarantha wasted no time in striding up to her daughter.

          The princess kept her chin held high as the queen lunged, dealing a slap across her daughter's face that echoed around the room. If it weren't for Tamlin holding her up, Andromeda was certain she would have fallen to the stone floor.

          "How dare you!" Amarantha unleashed her rage, her onyx eyes bearing into the princess's soul. "How dare you threaten your own mother. Your queen!"

          Andromeda remained silent. Out of the corner of her eye, she could see Lucien being dragged out by the guards. As flash of familiar gold told her he had witnessed the scene. At least he was getting out. Andromeda did not care what happened to her now, but she wanted Lucien nowhere near.

          "You have become quite the bold princess, haven't you?" her mother bitterly laughed, "Do you truly think you can stand against me? You ungrateful child. Do you really think you would be anything without me?"

          Amarantha stalked closer and closer, her words lashing out at the female before her. Andromeda weathered the storm, refusing to let her chin drop.

          "This court would eat you alive with your level of skill. You have not an ounce of power. The only thing you have going for you is the respect that Eris has earned within the court. You though? You would be absolutely nothing if it weren't for being my daughter."

          The queen stepped back, lifting her gaze up as she laughed. Andromeda couldn't look away. She had gone too far. With her promise to kill her mother, Andromeda lost any power she could have still had with her mother. Rhysand was right in that she should have kept playing the obedient princess. Instead, she did the thing her mother had always stressed never to do. She let her emotions take over and guide her actions, like a fool.

          "Do you not think for a second that I do all of this because I care for you? Because I want the best for my heir? This bond is just another weakness that you cannot afford to have. Not in your position."

          Andromeda took it all. For a moment, she even believed that this was her mother's own misguided version of love. Is this how she learned to love? Is this kind of love the type that the queen believed to be the strongest?

          "And now your cute little bargain," Amarantha continued to laugh as if it were a joke. "As useless as it is, I can't have you posing a potential threat."

          Cauldron. Was her mother going to kill her? She couldn't, right? She still needed Rhysand at the very least. Right?

          Her mother turned to the Attor, who had been looming in the shadows behind them.

          "Take her down into the dungeons. I think a valuable reminder about how good the princess has it here could be beneficial," her mother drawled, glaring down at her. The Attor nodded his grotesque head in response.