A Mother's Love

It had been months since Amarantha had required a private audience with her daughter, not since she had tried questioning her about any possible powers presenting within her. Even twice within a couple of months was more than Andromeda was used to. Typically her mother was far too busy. That, or she simply couldn't be bothered. Motherly duties were what the maids were for. The princess supposed that this was inevitable though, what with her acting out in front of the court twice now.

          As she walked through the corridors, she attempted to reach out to her father. Now was not the time for conversation, but she figured it was probably best to let him know what was happening. She may still be conflicted with annoyance and guilt, but she was tired of them at least not acting like a team.

          "I'm sorry for yesterday," Andromeda mentally sent out. "Mom is requesting my presence. I'll let you know if it takes a turn for the worst."

          After mentally extending an olive branch, the princess did feel slightly less burdened. She was still getting used to somebody actually showing they cared for her and though it was strange, she didn't want it to stop simply because she was being a wretch.

          The maid bowed to the princess before leaving her on her own to enter her mother's chamber. The fact that the maid did not enter alongside her probably did not bode well, but she was already here. With an exhale and a quick slip into her mask, she knocked on the door and entered when welcomed by her mother's voice on the other side.

          Amarantha's chambers were as grand and lavish as any other main room in the court, with much more ghastly decor and riches adorning her walls. The main room of the chamber held two grand armchairs beside a massive fireplace and a lavish, plush couch opposite of them. All the furniture was the same ruby red that was the queen's staple. Spotting her mother standing rigidly in front of the fireplace, Andromeda was beckoned to sit on the couch in front of her. Andromeda did not miss the eyes of the High Lord of Spring on her as well from his seat in one of the armchairs. The room was musty and filled with some kind of fragrance that Andromeda made an effort not to choke on.

          "Good," her mother started, her crimson lips in a fine line. "You came quickly."

          Andromeda sat with a straight back, folding her hands neatly in her lap. Like a good princess, she sat quietly, waiting to be told to speak.

          "I have to thank you for your advice about our friend Lucien. Turns out using him against dear Feyre was so much more fun."

          No.

          With her mother's beady eyes drinking in every single feature, Andromeda had to force herself to be entirely still. She couldn't give a sign. Wouldn't give her mother any more reason to use Lucien against her. Tamlin also watched her with anticipation, eyes narrowing on the female before him. Andromeda kept her chin up and continued to stare back at her mother, expressionless. She was glad she had her hands clamped together, hiding any shaking.

          The princess almost missed the second half of what her mother said. Feyre. The human girl's name was Feyre.

          "Nothing to say about that?" her mother goaded. "None of that boldness from the other night?"

          "And here I thought the lashings were to get rid of that boldness," Andromeda allowed herself to bite out. Tamlin had the decency to look downward at that. Her mother laughed.

          "There's those claws! Though I do have to wonder, what is it about Lucien Vanserra that has brought them out?"

          She debated not answering, but at her mother's quirked brows, silence was not an option.