The Shadowsinger

AZRIEL

          The Spymaster of the Night Court had held his tongue throughout the conversation between his brothers and the newest addition to their circle, Rhys's daughter. The thought was still hard to grapple with. He and the rest of the circle were left in Velaris for the last half century with only whispered rumors to go off of regarding the wellbeing of their family member, come to find out that one of the most terrifying rumors had been true all along. Azriel still hasn't fully recovered from bursting into the House of Wind, originally to stop Cassian from throttling their returned brother, only to see one of the few people he thought he would never see again. Not since her head was sent to them in a basket. Of course, it wasn't her, but watching as the young female snapped at the two males beside him and stomped away, she might as well be.

          Rhysand rubbed his hands over his face with a long, drawn-out sigh as he likely focused on not losing his cool. Beside the exhausted father, Cassian was still stewing over the child's accusation. The War General did not like feeling like he had no control over his own legion, and on a good day the Illyrian troops already tested his patience, but now? Now Azriel figured the general was not pleased over losing half his army to a fake heir.

          "I- I really just don't know what to do," Rhysand finally murmured, a helpless gleam in his eyes. "About her, at least."

          Neither Azriel nor Cassian had a good response to their brother. If anything, they were both stunned that their High Lord was even somewhat admitting to defeat. Not to mention that neither one of them had the first inkling of how to parent. Azriel had lots of questions about the two of them. How Andromeda came to be. How she was raised Under the Mountain, under Amarantha's thumb. Who the hell put those scars all over the back that he was able to spot when she took her exit. Azriel had a feeling he wouldn't get most of those answers for now though, which the Spymaster detested. Perhaps this was a good exercise in creating a work/life balance.

          "I hate to say it," Cassian piped in, his frustration still evident, "but she might have a point. Perhaps if we brought her to Illyria when you go to meet with the Camp Leaders, they could all see that she is not being manipulated by you. If she becomes your official heir, we may have more pull with the rebelling groups."

          Ever the strategist. Azriel disagreed though, at least if the reports from his shadows on her wellbeing are anything to go off of.

          "I don't want her in Illyria. I don't want her stepping foot out of Velaris," Rhysand rebutted, his High Lord voice coming out.

          The room grew silent, Azriel and Cassian not needing to voice their disagreement for his words. Rhys's eyes grew damp from tears that he refused to shed as he took a shuddering breath and continued. "They wanted to kill her Under the Mountain. The very Court that watched her grow up wanted to slaughter a child simply because she was her daughter. The only thing that saved her for now was Helion getting the rest of the High Lords in line to defend her."

          Azriel stiffened, his shadows clinging closer to him. Any threat against her was a threat against the Court, no matter their complicated feelings over the new heir. From the way the general beside him stilled with a lethal calm, he knew Cassian thought the same thing.

          "Velaris is untouched by the Mountain. It's the only place that is safe for her, where she can have a normal life. With everything she has been through, everything I let happen-"

          Rhysand's words halted with a sharp intake of breath as his eyes flitted down to the table, unable to meet the gazes of his brothers. The scars on the child flashed through his mind again. What exactly happened down there?