A Bond Away

The morning of their departure came and Andromeda was once again curled up in her chambers. Not asleep. No, she hadn't slept more than scattered minutes across the last few days. Not when every time she lost consciousness, her mind was flooded with her deadly shadows, the eruption of blood, the final pleading look from her mother. Andromeda was no stranger to death and murder, but this was all different.

          With dark circles surrounding her eyes, she finished collecting the very few items she deemed worthy enough of coming with her to the Night Court. It wasn't much besides the few books her father had gifted her over the last few months and a few little necessities she didn't want to part with. Other than those items though, all of her belongings she had accumulated over the last eighteen years felt tainted. There were certainly no dresses or gowns that were making the journey. Not when their dark, lavish tones only reminded Andromeda of the evenings in the throne room. No article of clothing was needed but the simple blue dress that currently hung loosely from her frame. Andromeda figured arriving to her new home in nothing but a nightgown would be seen as rude.

          Her father had left her alone in her chambers after their midnight adventure above the Mountain, likely to wrap up whatever loose ends the Lord needed to tie together in the reappointing of the High Lords of Prythian. Andromeda intended to remain within her chambers until he collected her to winnow the two of them away. There was nothing within this Mountain that she cared to reminisce about before leaving, even if the thought of officially turning her back to her only home hurt deep within. There was nobody that she had grown to know during her life that she felt she was worthy of getting a goodbye from. Her maids had fled. Eris had fled. It felt wrong to miss this wretched place that was all she knew. Almost as wrong as it felt to mourn her mother.

          A familiar scent reached her, pulling her away from the beginnings of a panic spiral. The embers of crackling fire and freshly cut apples collided into a beautiful aroma that the young female had grown to yearn for. Spinning toward the entryway to her room, Andromeda was welcomed to the soothing sight of Lucien Vanserra. The male stiffly held himself together, not as comfortable with entering the space as he had been a few days prior.

          "I heard you're leaving today."

          Andromeda watched and felt a hidden sadness creep through the male. An emotion that he was trying to not let show, but he could never hide from her. She wrapped her arms around herself in an effort to hold herself back from going to him. Her arms, now bare of her previous tattoo. Same as her chest. Bargains were no use for the dead.

          "I am," she confirmed. "Soon."

          Lucien nodded at that. She could feel his desire to say more. Do more. The two of them had so much to discuss and figure out. But he schooled himself well. In a crushing but not unexpected blow, Andromeda remembered that this would be her only goodbye before leaving the underground palace. It seemed fitting that it was with the mate she was also not able to have. 

          At least for now, she halfheartedly reminded herself.

          "The offer still stands you know," Lucien gently pressed. He could feel her emotional turmoil- has felt it the last few days- and was kind in trying to fix what he thought to be the problem. Andromeda sadly smiled at his efforts.

          "I appreciate it, really, Lucien," she truthfully responded, "But you know I have to go to the Night Court."

          At seeing his move to object, she quickly amended, "I want to go to the Night Court."

          Lucien nodded, but a small flame was still ignited in his russet eye.

          "Perhaps I can come with? If you want, of course."