Rumors at the Dinner Table

Despite the kindness Mor had shown to her earlier in the day, Andromeda was quick to run away from the family reunion. No matter how much she adored seeing the genuine happiness radiating from her father, no matter how nice and welcoming Mor was to her, she could not escape the feeling that she was an intruder within the home. As great as her father's brothers seemed, the looks they kept shooting her way were enough to make her want to run back to the comfort of her chambers Under the Mountain. The burning stares were not necessarily malicious in nature, but they were off-putting, to say the least. Andromeda couldn't help but feel like she was a ghost haunting them from the corner. Reminding them of why they were reuniting after fifty torturous years.

          While her father tried bringing her into the family gathering, Andromeda figured he was either too caught up in seeing his family or he was aware of her discomfort. She hoped it was the former, as she knew how much this meeting meant for him and she did not want to ruin it. Luckily, Mor kept sneaking knowing glances at the younger female before sneaking her aside and showing her to one of what she imagined was many rooms within this house.

          "You'll have to forgive me for the lack of personalization within this room," Mor had said with a slight grimace. "It's yours though. If you would like."

          Andromeda bowed her head in thanks, figuring she was not in a position to be picky. Perhaps it was the lack of sleep getting to her- not that she hadn't felt it all day- but she halted Mor's leaving with a knowing question.

          "He didn't mention me, did he," Andromeda urged, staring the striking blonde down. Her shoulders stiffened a bit, but Mor wouldn't let anything but a soft smile show.

          "There were rumors that came from the Mountain," she finally settled on revealing, her eyes glazing as she remembered the last fifty years. "Being trapped within Velaris, we only got so much information. Confirmed information, at least. The Courts were so scattered during her rule that even the High Lords who could venture to and from the Mountain were barely able to be reached."

          Andromeda took in all the information attentively, flinching only slightly as she spat out "her."

          Mor noticed the reaction, but only sighed, her eyes hardening.

          "A rumor of a child had spread at one point or another, but nothing that we could ever get confirmation of. We had hoped-" a beat as if she almost spoke too much of the truth "-No. He did not mention you."

          The confirmation was a blow. Andromeda knew that her father had some logical reasonings for not revealing a daughter via mental communication. Of course, communication about the happenings Under the Mountain was scarce. Still, it hurt. At least a little.

          Mor also noticed as Andromeda swallowed, diverting her eyes to the cream-colored carpet adorning the room's floors.

          "You're unexpected, but don't mistake my words. You are welcome here."

          Andromeda awkwardly nodded, even as her stomach sank even further. Welcome. Not necessarily wanted. The older female left her alone in the room shortly after that, allowing her to rest before dinner.

          Not even two minutes later, her father's talons were softly rasping at her mental barriers. Guilt crept into her mind at the thought of him being upset that she left the family gathering. How could she tell him that she wasn't welcome? That she shouldn't be welcomed?

          "I'm sorry. This homecoming did not go as I had planned."

          His voice was genuine. She knew he wished for a grand welcome back where he could introduce her as his daughter and they could all be one big happy family. It wasn't his fault that the Cauldron decided to snap a mate bond into place with an engaged female. It wasn't even his fault that Andromeda did not fit in here.