The Inevitable Fall

Andromeda was quick to leave the festivities in the throne room after being granted her temporary pardon. As the fae celebrated and danced over her mother's body, the dethroned princess knew her presence would not be tolerated for long. Sneaking off without the notice of her father and her mate was near impossible, but in the midst of the chaos, she somehow managed it. Of course, it was only a matter of minutes before one of them found her.

          "You are allowed to celebrate too, you know," her father assured her, leaning against the frame of her chamber's doorway. "No matter what anybody says."

          Andromeda sighed, already sitting in front of the simmering fire in the stone fireplace. Standing was too much of an effort now that adrenaline had left her system.

          "You know as well as I do that we are not welcome here. It's not the court's fault that they're now allowed to show it," she responded. "Even if I did take part in her... In mother's-"

          Rhysand's expression shifted from one of teasing to one of comfort as he crossed the room, moving to sit beside the female. Andromeda tensed, refusing to remove her stare from the fire as she remembered the sight of Tamlin tearing through her mother's throat. The desperate plea in her mother's eyes as Andromeda held her in place for her slaughter.

          Her father made no move to comfort her physically. Instead, he sat beside her and joined in the viewing of the flames.

          "It'll be hard," Rhysand finally stated. "Andromeda, I don't expect you to pick yourself up from this anytime soon. What you've helped do today... no child should ever have to do."

          Andromeda did not say anything. No tears formed either. She had cried enough tears for a lifetime.

          "Prythian is free. The fae in this kingdom are no longer shackled to Amarantha. Whether the court here realizes it or not, you are one of the reasons for why that is. Don't ever let anybody convince you otherwise. Yourself included."

          Against the stickiness of the blood covering her exposed skin, she nodded. She couldn't bring herself to agree, but in some ways, her father had a point. Being a hero just seemed like something that would have felt so much better than it actually did.

          Wanting the attention off of herself, Andromeda focused on a question plaguing her mind. "Is Feyre okay?"

          Her father seemed to not like this change in conversation. The Lord rolled his shoulders back and took a deep breath.

          "She'll be okay. She has Tamlin by her side."

          The male beside her sounded strained though. Unconvinced. Andromeda wanted to press further, many more questions circling her mind, but the scent of fire and apples reached her just as the father and daughter were interrupted.

          Lucien Vanserra froze in the open doorway of her chambers, his hands bracing either side of the door as if he were trying to force himself to not enter the room. Rhysand froze, his expression turning borderline deadly. Andromeda shot to her feet, using the wall alongside the fireplace to steady herself.

          "Lucien! Leave her-," followed the voice of a trailing Eris behind the younger Vanserra male. He cut himself off as he noted the open door and the situation brewing.

          Andromeda tensed, but couldn't help the small smile from appearing. She was suddenly very aware of the fact that she was still a bloody mess with tear streaks and tangled curls. Cauldron, would their timing ever be decent?