Fated Introductions

The night after the excitement from the human girl's arrival, Andromeda was irritated. Her father was distant after the show and the subsequent deal that was struck, his mental walls towering high and keeping his daughter out. The princess sulked in her room in response. Why would he be hiding away now? Why is he not also trying to leap at the opportunity that has fallen into their laps? Andromeda's solo scheming only got her so far without her father's input, but she was anxious to start immediately. If the human girl failed, then they needed a backup plan for their court.

          Pacing back and forth in her chambers, Andromeda was thrumming with energy she didn't know how to expel. Her father was ignoring her for the evening. Eris was busy keeping his father entertained with whatever the Vanserra clan liked to do here. And- Andromeda did not reflect on how depressing it was for her to only have the two males.

          Friends were never an option for her as the feared princess and heir of Amarantha. She guessed that with her recent murderous spree, she wasn't doing herself any favors. Looking back on it now, the isolation was just another manipulation tactic from her mother. If isolated and controlled throughout her activities, she never bore the risk of being something her mother did not want. Anger coursed through her at the thought. Every moment of her life had been controlled.

          Maybe it was the desire to be in control of something, if even her own two feet. Or maybe it was the undying urge to move and release the pent-up energy within her, but before she realized it, Andromeda was fastening her pale blue cloak over her nightgown. Not bothering to find any slippers or shoes, the princess wandered from her chamber.

          Alone in the corridors for the first time in ages, Andromeda just let her feet guide her through the winding halls, following the dim flickering of the fae lights.

          Not passing a single soul, Andromeda did not consider watching where she was wandering until she realized how close she had waltzed to the Mountain's dungeons. Curiosity overcame her as she examined the heavy door that would lead her to the cells that were hidden away. The princess had never been to the dungeons. Her thoughts drifted to the human girl, only a few years older than her, probably suffering behind that door.

          A small part of her felt that she should go to her. Why? She didn't know, but the feeling was strong. Perhaps the strings of Fate were playing their part. Perhaps Andromeda was being a foolish child. The latter thought took control as she shook her head clear of any thoughts of the girl. Knowing she shouldn't be caught down here, Andromeda spun back around to go back through the hallway she came.

          Being absorbed in her thoughts, Andromeda did not hear the footsteps from behind the doorway. Did not heed the warning of the approaching woodsy scent of fire and ripe apples. The creak of the door opening shook her from herself, causing her to spin around with a frightened gasp.

          There before her stood the one male she had been avoiding, all while secretly yearning for his presence. The princess froze, her violet eyes widening along with the male's own masked eyes. The two stared at each other for a silent moment, as if waiting to see what the other would do.

          "Apologies, princess," Lucien quietly spoke, bowing in respect. His face morphed from an expression of shock into a carefully manicured mask of indifference. "I was sent down here earlier. I'm on my way back to my family now."

          Right. She was the enemy, she remembered with a surprisingly sharp sting to her heart. And she had just caught him in a restricted area. If she were who he thought her to be, her word could have him tortured and killed. With her facade, she would have no reason not to turn him in to her mother.