The Final Trial

The day of the final trial was unsettling. Off. There was no excitement amongst the court like there had been during the previous trials. No betting pools or cruel laughter. A wave of reality had settled amongst the fae Under the Mountain. Everybody was fully aware of what hung in the balance this evening.

          Andromeda was prepared for the worst. She had already accepted her fate and made her silent vows to the Cauldron. As she was pampered and dressed by the handmaidens, she felt like she was putting on armor before battle. Things were going to change tonight, whether for better or worse, the princess was forced to be ready to weather the storm and take on whatever challenge was thrown at her.

          The court believed her to be a spoiled brat. Lucien believed her to be a monster. Eris believed her to be a scared child. None of it mattered once her mask was on. When her rouge-lined lips curved into a wicked smirk, she was only Amarantha's heir. She learned what it was that allowed her father to keep his mask up so easily, likely Eris as well. It wasn't only their years of experience. It was also selflessness. They didn't lie and scheme for themselves, in fact, they despised it. They did what they had to do in order to protect what mattered most to them, and Andromeda finally knew what mattered most.

          If Feyre failed, Andromeda was prepared to be the most wicked princess of all in order to gain her mother's trust again. She could hold out for however long it took for her and Eris to take over in power. She would play the game for as long as needed to ensure the fae were free. That her father, Eris, and Lucien got away unharmed, back to the freedom they each deserved.

          Andromeda sat beside her mother in their typical thrones, back on the familiar dais rising from the crimson floor. The court filled the room, but the silence was eerie as they looked to each other and to Amarantha for what was about to happen. Andromeda leaned into her throne, feigning boredom as she had done so many times before. She made herself appear as a princess merely inconvenienced by a family outing to an execution. She pretended to not notice the clearly disguised fae pretending to be Tamlin beside her mother. She pretended to send loving glances to Eris every few minutes. She pretended the body of Clare Beddor was not still rotting above the entrance to the room.

          Eventually, Feyre, dressed in tattered pants and a tunic, was presented to the court. Andromeda hid her delight at seeing the girl with her chin still up and her eyes still sending daggers to the queen who may very well be her killer tonight. All eyes fell on the human girl and every single breath she took.

          "Two trials lie behind you," Amarantha finally announced, flicking dust off of her blood-red gown. "And only one more awaits. I wonder if it will be worse to fail now- when you are so close."

          Andromeda expected the normal laughter from her court, but it never came. Outside of the few laughs of the royal guard, there was only silence. Andromeda pretended to not notice that also, keeping her curious gaze on Feyre. Amarantha glared around at the silent fae.

          "Any words to say before you die?"

          Feyre did not attempt to speak to Amarantha. Instead, her attention became fixed on the fake Tamlin beside the queen. Andromeda suppressed a sigh at the fact that Feyre would not be able to see through the glamour.

          "I love you," she said. "No matter what she says about it, no matter if it's only with my insignificant human heart. Even when they burn my body, I'll love you."

          Tears formed and fell down Feyre's dirty face. Andromeda pitied her, not for the emotion she was showing, but for whatever trick her mother had brewed up.