Midsummer

"I've decided to help dear Feyre," Andromeda's father casually mentioned, days after the first task. The two were comfortable in the princess's chambers, sitting on opposite armchairs as the flames danced in front of them within the stone fireplace. Andromeda had been reading a book on the history of the Night Court- an early birthday gift from her father, meant to teach her about her true home- when he suddenly spoke.

          "So is it safe for me to tell you now that I assisted her during the first trial?" Andromeda innocently responded, closing her book and stuffing it back into the cushion. The matching eyes between the two met, her father's narrowed while hers were left wide, matched with wagling eyebrows.

          "How did you-"

          "How are you going to help her? And why?"

          Andromeda pressed, choosing to ignore her father's annoyance with her meddling. Rhysand sighed, also choosing to not argue.

          "She was wounded after the first trial. Badly. Because of Lucien's little stint of healing her beforehand, he's been watched like a hawk to ensure he doesn't interfere once more," Andromeda almost cut in, but her father sensed the question, "No threats have been made on his life and no harm has found its way to him, but he's smart enough to know not to do anything while so much attention is on him. I think he's been expecting punishment from Amarantha since his outburst during the trial."

          "She shouldn't be anywhere near him," Andromeda hissed.

          "No, but your mother excels at fear tactics. As long as Lucien is unaware of the bargain, he will stay in line if he thinks there is a hammer that will come down on him. Loopholes, darling." Andromeda grumbled some choice curses, but let her father continue. "Anyway, I paid our human friend a visit and offered to heal her."

          "And what did she bargain for you to do so?"

          "One week out of every month in the Night Court."

          Andromeda snorted in a very unladylike fashion, but her amusement died when her father remained serious.

          "You're not joking? But why? What good does her being in the Night Court do you?"

          Rhysand did not respond for a long moment while the princess thought up all the reasons why he'd desire to have the human around. Sure, the majority of fae are terrified of the front the Night Court puts up, but it still seemed rather tame considering her father saved the girl's life.

          "I thought it made the most sense. Everybody would expect me to want to taint the one Tamlin views as his, so what better way to do that than by forcing her to become accustomed to my court?"

          Andromeda narrowed her eyes at the male across from her.

          "Why would people expect you to provoke Tamlin like that? Because mother forced him to whip me?"

          Her father gained a slightly glazed look in his eyes as if he were being haunted by some past memory. Tensing up, he leaned forward in his seat, his eyes not leaving the fireplace.

          "The Spring Court was responsible for the deaths of my mother and sister. Tamlin wasn't High Lord yet, but when my father and I went to seek vengeance for their slaughter... both Tamlin and I walked away from that evening having inherited our titles."

          Andromeda was stunned by his words, spoken too casually as if she weren't learning of his- her- family's destruction. Her father had claimed he lost his family to Court disputes, but she never knew Tamlin was directly involved. The haunted look in her father's violet eyes matched the expression he held when staring at the wounds on her back. The wounds inflicted by the man who was partially to blame for the murder of his family.