The True Human

The court erupted into a cacophony of gasps as Andromeda inwardly groaned to herself. The determination on the human girl's face was admirable, reminding her of the fae female all those months ago. She wanted to feel admiration for the girl, but all she could see was another win for her mother as Amarantha tipped her head back and let loose a horrible laugh.

          The queen turned to Tamlin, amusement dancing in her cold eyes. "You certainly were busy all those years. Developed a taste for human beasts, did you?"

          Andromeda felt relief from her father's mind. Realization dawned on her that it was her father who turned in the wrong human girl. If her mother found out, what would she think? Tamlin still revealed nothing in his features. Perhaps Tamlin's desire to protect this mortal was stronger than the desire to reveal her father's supposed mistake.

          "But," Amarantha started. The court was silenced again, listening in anticipation. "It makes me wonder- if only one human girl could be taken once she killed your sentinel..."

          Her mother laughed in amusement as Andromeda could feel sweat building on the back of her neck. "Oh, you are delicious! You let my daughter torture that innocent girl to keep this one safe? You lovely thing! You actually made a human worm love you. Marvelous."

          Andromeda felt sick as the human girl's eyes widened, glancing toward the princess. Andromeda had no choice but to keep her mask up. If she played nicely, perhaps her mother would be too entertained to acknowledge Rhysand's mix-up. Copying her father's movements from the previous night, Andromeda gave a vicious smirk and a lazy wave of her fingers. The human girl paled as she turned her attention back to the queen.

          "Let him go," she demanded. Her voice just barely catching. Another thing to admire. Andromeda wished she didn't have to be a villain to this human.

          "Give me one reason why I shouldn't destroy you where you stand, human." Amarantha's voice was losing the amusement it was previously so thick with. Her teeth were bared to the human. The human continued to hold her chin high. Good, Andromeda thought.

          "You tricked him- he is bound unfairly."

          Perhaps Andromeda had given the girl too much credit if that was her only argument.

          Amarantha gazed down at her famed ring containing Jurian's eye. A prize from one of the last times a human crossed her. The princess always hated that ring. Hated the way it always watched.

          "You human beasts are so uncreative. We spent years teaching you poetry and fine speech, and that is all you can come up with? I should rip out your tongue for letting it go to waste."

          Some wicked laughs were heard throughout the hall. The human girl still refused to stand down though. Tamlin still had yet to move a muscle and Andromeda couldn't help but think back to her father's words about mated males. Foolish, Andromeda thought, for her to do all of this for a male who is not even hers. Love was a powerful force though, Cauldron gifted or not. The poor human girl was likely to die for it, yet here she stood.

          "But I'm curious: What eloquence will pour from your lips when you behold what you should have been?" Amarantha continued, pointing behind the girl to the rotting corpse of Clare Beddor. Andromeda forced herself to look as well for the first time in days. The view made her want to empty her stomach once again.

          The human girl's jaw slackened as she took in the ghastly sight. Andromeda could only imagine all the thoughts running through her mind. How much of a monster she now knew the princess was.