A Called Upon Bargain

Andromeda woke to fire consuming her back. Or at least that is what it felt like to have the maids clean her wounds as she lay face down in her bed. A strangled groan cut through her sore throat that felt as if she hadn't had water in days. A pressure in her hand told her that somebody was there, squeezing the limb as a show of support.

          Opening her eyes, she wasn't surprised to see her father sitting beside her bed, still wearing a face of lethal calm. His eyes were wide against his pale and clammy skin, not leaving her exposed back once. The princess was half-tempted to fall back into her slumber if it hadn't been for a harsh sting along her spine causing her to stiffen and hiss in pain. Her father continued to watch whatever was being done to the wounds. It was like he was in a trance that left him unable to look away.

          "Dad," Andromeda croaked out, finally. There was no sign he even heard her. As her sight adjusted from the blurriness of sleep, she could see the shadows veiling his expression. This was the feared High Lord of Night Court before her.

          "Dad," Andromeda called again, mentally this time. It did the trick of breaking him from his guilt-ridden stupor. His violet eyes snapped to her own, relief flooding them. The relief lasted a second before the darkness returned.

          "That was the stupidest thing you could have done," he reprimanded, his voice laced with hurt and fear. Andromeda had no energy to flinch, not as another sting from whatever serum was being used on the wounds blasted through her spine.

          "I know," Andromeda responded after a beat. She felt no regret though, not as all the memories of seeing Lucien held between his brute brothers came flooding in. The punishment she took the burden of. "What happened after I fell?"

          Rhysand looked away for a moment as if he was debating his next words. "Back when you were born, Amarantha and I made a deal." He pulled back his sleeve to reveal a magical tattoo on the inside of his wrist, swirling just to the curve of his palm. Andromeda had seen it before, but never put much thought into it. "It was for me to ensure no lethal harm came to you."

          Andromeda attempted a half-ass snort. "Most children are gifted with dolls when birthed."

          Her father did not join in on her humorous attempt. More serum along her back had her biting her cheek in an effort to keep from squirming away from the touch.

          "Knowing Amarantha, I knew that if you ever presented yourself as anything but submissive to her will, you as her heir would be ruled as a threat. We both know what she is capable of when it comes to eliminating threats. I managed a bargain, one that cost me any other decision-making abilities when it came to you." Guilt flooded into his eyes for a moment, before they hardened again in determination. "If Amarantha were to make any move against your life, she would be forfeiting my life as well."

          Andromeda's eyes widened, the stinging suddenly not feeling so bad.

          "Meaning-"

          "Meaning if you were killed by her or any extension of her, I would die by my own hand within minutes and she would in no way be able to stop me."

          Fear and shame coursed through the princess as she took in his words. Her father gave up any ability to parent her for the sake of a single defense to keep her alive. She had so stupidly almost caused his death alongside hers.

          "After you blocked me out," her father continued, disapproval lacing his words before he choked out, "I had to sit by and wait until there was enough reason for me to threaten to follow through on the deal. When your body went limp and your mother commanded Tamlin to keep going, I knew it was time."