14

Omniscient POV

Omniscient POV

"So yall all good?" Bri asks as she checks their homework into the gradebook. She asked nonchalantly so she could be discreet but really she was on a mission for Russell.

It is currently her 8th and final period that she had with Ezra, Daniel and most importantly Jalen.

"Awww I love when my favorite teacher checks in on me." Ezra gushes dramatically and she rolls her eyes while giving him the notes he wrote for homework back.

"Of course, you don't do your homework often so I have to make sure you're okay." She jokes as his jaw drops and Daniel instigates.

"Aye that hurts Ms.Carter, real shit." Ezra says and she points at him with a glare.

"Stop cursing." She couldn't even pay attention to Jalen because her problem child, Ezra, always took it too far. There was always at least one in each period but Ezra got the award for the worst even though he was never malicious.

Bri figured, realistically, if something was going on with Jalen, he wouldn't tell her outright in front of his goofy ass friends, so she decided she would just pull him aside after the bell rang. So in the meantime she moved onto the next table group that needed their homework checked.

10 minutes later the bell was ringing and the students were packing up. She made sure to get up and catch him before he left.

"Jalen lemme talk to you real quick." She says and luckily for her Ezra nor Daniel were paying attention, they were among the students running out for dismissal.

Jalen nods and sits back down and she takes a seat in front of him waiting for the last student to exit.

"So wassup, why didn't you do your homework the last few days?"

"I just haven't had the time." He shrugs and that was a clear indicator to Bri that there was something deeper going on. Jalen was an excellent student and an even better basketball player, and he was slacking in both lately.

"Why not?" She questions and he shrugs.

"Jalen, I know you, and I know in the past you've cared a lot about your grades, so what has changed?" The nonchalant act wasn't working, Bri had him his freshman year and now his sophomore year so she knew what kind of student he was. He asked questions, took advantage of extra credit and whenever he missed anything he made sure to track her down and make it up.

To answer her question he just shrugs and looks away.

"You not gonna tell me?"

"There's nothing to tell, I've just been tired, is all. I won't miss any more assignments."

With a sigh Bri realizes it's going to be way harder to crack him than it was Cole, who she made a mental note to check in on. "Fine, I'm gonna hold you to it, have a good day." She dismisses and without another second he was up and walking out.