Chapter 5

As the evening sun painted the sky in shades of orange, Ash began to stir in the infirmary. Her confusion was palpable as she awoke, her first words slipping from her lips in Greek before switching to Spanish.

"Chill, callarse la boca mujer!" Aubri snapped in Spanish, a proud smirk crossing her face at her surprising linguistic skills.

Ash blinked, looking at Aubri in slight terror and quickly falling silent.

Ash looked at Aubri in disbelief, "You just spoke Spanish."

Confusion still clouding her eyes, Ash finally asked, "Where are we? What now? Where are my glasses?"

Chiron, who had been nearby, stepped forward with a warm smile. "You're at Camp Half-Blood, Ash. Your friend Aubri is already settled in her cabin. Now it's your turn."

Ash glanced at Chiron, her expression unfazed by the fact he was a centaur. That and the fact she could hardly see without her glasses. "Alright then, lead the way."

Together, they walked over to the cabins. Ash couldn't help but feel a twinge of nervousness. She had always struggled with social anxiety, and the prospect of her new home was both exciting and daunting.

Aubri when walking handed Ash her glasses and said, "Sorry forgot I had them on me." Ash took them grateful to fully see again.

As they reached the Ares cabin, Ash's eyes fell on the intimidating structure. It was a rustic, menacing-looking building, a gray building with fading and chipping red paint. Barbed wire surrounded the perimeter of the roof, giving off an aura of strength and intimidation. Inside, the cabin was spartan, with rough bunks that looked of military format, weapons racks, and banners displaying the symbol of Ares. It was clear that the children of Ares valued simplicity and readiness for battle above all else.

Ash couldn't hide her apprehension, and as she looked back at Aubri, her expression seemed to say, "Help, I'm scared."

Aubri just nudged Ash's shoulder and said, "They're your family. They're nothing to be scared about."

"Nothing to be scared about? Do you see that building? It looks like it's meant to be a medieval torture building crossed with a military barrack," Ash said whisper yelling.

Aubri without hesitation pushed Ash into the cabin and said, "Have fun, see you later."

Ash stumbled through the door still scared. Unknown to her knowledge on who she just tripped over. Ash looks up saying, "I'm so sorry my friend pushed me through the door and..."

The girl Ash had tripped over was definitely taller than her, the girl's athletic build with a powerful presence that demanded attention. Her wild, auburn hair was pulled back in a bandana making sure her eyes were visible, and her intense, dark steely eyes made Ash have a shiver up her spine. Ash was definitely now more scared.