Chapter 23

"Face it we're lost 'cause we got pushed off the trail," Ash said, gripping onto Aubri trying to stay upright. Ash noticed Aubri getting a little tired, and it was not like they were getting anywhere close to the forge. "Hey, set me down, let's all take a break. A snack for lunch will do us good."

"I'm fine, Ash. You're not that heavy for me," Aubri replied.

Ash looked behind her and said, "It's not you I am worried about." Aubri paused and looked behind where Zavik was helping Lincoln try to catch up with them.

Aubri helped Ash sit on the ground without dropping her fully. Ash leaned against the trunk of a tree. Aubri then set her bag down and said, "I might have an ice pack in here somewhere or Zavik has it." Aubri shifted through her bag. "Nope, Zavik has it."

Aubri stood up and walked a little ways off. Ash watched a little worried. The prophecy was getting too much into Aubri's head. Ash rather not say anything. She knew that someone was supposed to die from what she remembered when Aubri read the prophecy to the group. Hopefully, it was none of them in the group. Four was always an unlucky number with Half-Bloods. If one of them was supposed to die, Ash rather it be her. She'd die for any of them including Lincoln, even if she doesn't act like it.

"Why'd you guys stop?" Zavik asked. Ash looked up and saw Lincoln sitting on the ground trying to catch his breath.

"We were rushing, and honestly, we all need a break. Aubri is pushing us too hard, and poor Lincoln here looked about ready to collapse," Ash said, adjusting her ankle to alleviate the pressure.

Zavik knelt down next to Ash to examine her ankle and replace the old bloody bandages. He moved Ash's ankle while putting on new bandages and putting the splint back making her wince. He shifted through his bag to get an ice pack. Zavik cracked it and shook the ice pack before placing it down on her.

Ash leaned her head back on the tree. It was quite the grand oak tree. Ash was slightly closing her eyes. She was just so tired after just this morning. Also, having to wake up early for breakfast was not ideal.

Ash from behind her heard a voice. She opened her eyes thinking it was Aubri. Aubri was talking with Zavik about something while she was eating a granola bar. Ash must have just thought she heard something so she closed her eyes again.

Ash heard it again but this time more clearly saying, "Can you not lean on me please."

Ash sat up straight extremely confused. No one else was hearing it but her. Ash looked at the tree and then towards the others. She asked, "Okay, is it just me or does no one else hear a voice?"

Lincoln, eating as well, just said, "A voice?" He looked at Aubri and Zavik like Ash was going crazy or something.

"Yeah, a voice, it sounds like a calm gust of wind if that makes sense?" Ash said about to lean on the tree again.

Something then came out of the tree and in an annoyed voice out loud said, "I asked nicely twice can you not lean on my tree." Everyone froze. Lincoln almost dropped his granola bar. A tree nymph. She looked at the group confused why they froze.

She was pretty, to say the least, covered in greenery and her light orangey skin tone. Her dark brown hair curled a little cascading past her shoulders with a crown of leaves braided in. She looked at herself and said, "What something off with my dress?"

"N- no, it's not that. We just didn't think we would see a nymph here in South Dakota. Granted we are in a forest, so I guess it makes sense," Aubri stammered, extending her hand out to greet the tree nymph. "We're from Camp Half-Blood if you know where that is."

"She's very pretty," Lincoln whispered to Zavik, recovering from almost dropping his granola bar. Zavik slowly nodded, his eyes filled with awe.

Aubri looked at Ash who was completely frozen. Ash was just staring at the nymph saying nothing. Aubri looked back at the nymph and said, "I apologize for my friend leaning on your tree. We needed a break and she's hurt. My name is Aubrianne. The two beside me are Lincoln and Zavik. The dead fish over there is Ash." Ash snapped out of it when she heard that and glared at Aubri.