Chapter 8

As the campers finished their meals or were close to it, Grover stood up on a bench, his voice projecting across the camp. "Campers of Camp Half-Blood, let's greet the newcomers with a song! Hit it, musicians!"

The Hermes and Apollo cabin members, serving as impromptu musicians, started playing a lively tune, and the camp erupted into a song, the Campfire Song. A different member of the Hermes cabin took the lead in the beginning, singing enthusiastically.

When Percy took over the song, he invited everyone to join in, and soon the entire camp was singing along. The lyrics filled the air, and the atmosphere became festive as laughter and singing blended into a joyous cacophony.

Aubri and Ash, not familiar with this camp tradition, exchanged confused glances as the musical celebration unfolded. When the song finally concluded, the camp erupted into laughter.

Aubri turned to Percy, still bewildered, and asked, "Why is everyone singing?"

Percy grinned, "Well, it's tradition. I was just as confused when I got here, but later, you'll enjoy doing it too, in time."

Ash groaned, her discomfort evident, and said, "I don't like singing."

Aubri, remembering their elementary school choir days together, looked at Ash with surprise. "But you did choir in elementary school with me."

Ash shifted uncomfortably, her voice barely above a mumble. "Yeah, that was different. I'm also having a stimulation overload and don't want to be near people."

Understanding Ash's unease, Aubri placed a reassuring hand on her friend's shoulder. "It's alright buddy, you can go to bed soon. Just hang in there for a little while longer."