Chapter 9

After the campfire celebration, Percy walked over to the lake, leaving the rest of the campers chatting in the dining area. As everyone engaged in conversations, Charlie took the opportunity to approach Aubri, his eyes sparkling with curiosity.

"Hey, Aubri," Charlie began, "you've got some cool powers. How did you figure it out?"

Aubri shrugged, uncertain how to explain. "Well, for starters, I'm brilliant for my age. I've always enjoyed being near a campfire or fireplace and inventing things. Plus, I knew that I was adopted, so I kinda just figured it out a little."

Charlie grinned, impressed. "That's awesome. I wish I had figured out that I was a demi-god that early."

Aubri added, "Well, I didn't know I was a demi-god until I got there. I just knew that I was different from other kids."

As the night progressed, Ash, exhausted from the day's events, began to doze off. Her head drooped to the table, but Aubri quickly moved to catch it, preventing Ash from startling her awake.

Aubri chuckled as Ash blinked herself awake. Percy and Luke returned to the campfire, but the atmosphere had shifted. Luke, fueled by anger and resentment, screamed, "I don't care if I hurt anyone; soon there will be no gods at all!"

Annabeth rushed over, questioning Luke's actions. "Luke, what are you doing?"

"What should be done, for what the gods did to Thalia," Luke replied bitterly. "We promised we would never forget Thalia."

Annabeth's gaze moved over the camp, her eyes filled with sadness. Aubri and Ash exchanged confused glances, wondering who Thalia was.

Annabeth approached Luke, taking his sword. "It's over, Luke."

Luke, defiant, retorted, "Yeah well, not for Percy!" He stabbed Percy and fled into the night. Grover chased after him, calling for Zavik, "We have to catch him!"

Aubri stood up, concern and confusion etched on her face. Annabeth urgently called for ambrosia and healed Percy from the brink of death. Ash, looking up at Aubri, remarked, "Well, that was eventful. What just happened?"

Aubri shrugged, turning to Charlie for answers. "Is Percy going to be okay?"

Charlie nodded, "He's in the hands of Annabeth; he'll be fine. But Luke... never thought he had that in him. He seemed like a nice guy."

As the campers grappled with the unexpected turn of events, the shadows of the past loomed over Camp Half-Blood, leaving Aubri and Ash with more questions than answers.