Chapter 6

The glare of the girl Ash had accidentally tripped over was relentless. Ash's anxiety had her trembling as she stammered out an apology, "Again, I am so sorry."

"Do you have a death wish or something girl? Tripping over the head of the Ares cabin it seems like you do."

Clarisse, the girl who had been on the receiving end of the accident, studied Ash with a mix of skepticism and curiosity. "Who are you?" she demanded, her tone unyielding.

Gathering her courage, Ash pulled herself up from the ground and responded nervously with a stutter, "I'm a new... new camper, and I'm a child... child of Ares. The name's Ash Martin."

Clarisse remained unrelenting. "Are you sure you're one of us? You seem way too timid for our cabin. And I still don't like you for tripping over me."

Ash felt a pang of discomfort, her eyes dropping to the ground as she replied softly, "I'm not usually timid, but the new situation and new people make me nervous. And, again, I'm so sorry my friend was being a jerk."

Clarisse regarded Ash with a mixture of suspicion and something approaching empathy. The children of Ares were known for their toughness and warlike nature, and they didn't often welcome newcomers with open arms. But there was something about Ash's genuine remorse that seemed to soften Clarisse's attitude, if only slightly.

"Well, we'll see if you toughen up," Clarisse grumbled, looking away for a moment before making a decision. "I'll show you the ropes around here. But don't expect it to be easy."

As Ash nodded gratefully, she heard the slight whisper of Clarisse talking to another Ares kid, "The newbie here is going to be the baby in the cabin, so be gentle with her but also make sure she toughens up." Clarisse and the other camper gave a slight smirk, and then Clarisse continued to show Ash around the cabin.