Chapter 12

A voice called out from far away. But it wasn't from the club house.

"Kenna! Faye! Are you guys here?!"

It was Annika.

Kenna quickly pulled away from Faye, standing up.

"It's Annika. We better find her before she freaks out." Kenna already started to walk toward the direction of the sound. Pretending nothing happened between her and Faye. How was she supposed to react to this? She thought. Everything had just gotten more complicated than it already is. And the weirdest part was that...she liked it.

"Kenna "

"Annika! We're over here!" Kenna shouted, not only because she didn't want Annika to freak out, but because she couldn't face Faye. She still hasn't looked at her after what just happened. Although she knows she has to sooner or later, Faye's still following her from behind, and after all they're roommates.

Great.

It's just a plain grass field, but because it was so especially dark tonight everything was hard to see. Not to mention Annika's shadow compared to some strangely tall grass that would also look like a person's shadow.

"I hear you, Kenna! But where are you guys?" Annika yelled back.

"Just don't move! We'll get to you soon!"

After a while of walking by following the sound of her voice, they finally found Annika. She embraced her and Faye with a tight hug right after she was sure that it was them.

"Jeez, you guys really scared me on that!" She stepped back to take a good look at them. "I thought something might've happened. Since Faye went after you, Kenna, and I thought that something happened to both of you when she didn't come back for so long." Annika's face was relieved but there was still fear written in her eyes. Kenna knew what she was thinking. Annika thought those Officials who took Skyler and Faye away did the same to them. It seems to be that that moment never stopped reoccurring in Annika's head.

But Annika was right about one thing. Something did happen to her and Faye.

Their walk back wasn't as awkward as what Kenna thought it would've been like. Luckily, Annika was a big chatter. She kept talking about the boy who asked her to dance and she blabbered on about every little detail.

"And he pulled my hair back and his eyes were..."

Kenna wasn't really listening. There was too much on her mind. Is this what Dr. Novak meant by infected? Is she infected? What will happen now? Why did everything just get so much harder? What would Dr. Novak do if she found out about this? What will

Faye's finger tips stroked Kenna's. The tingle of sensation went up Kenna, she felt her face turning hot again. She hated this feeling. And yet she can't stop it.

She concentrated her stare and attention on the floor as they walked. But she could still see Faye staring at her from her side view.

She pulled her hand away and slipped it in her pocket. Annika was right next to them, how is Faye still doing this?

But Annika didn't seem to notice the weird tension between the two at all.

"He was so cute! I think you would've fallen for him too if you saw him. Why have I never thought about him this way before? Fate must've brought him to me!"

Faye laughed. "Right before, you said fate brought Kenna to us." She glanced at Kenna who tried to look boredly as she stared at their tracks.

"That too. But..."