Chapter 8

Chapter 8: My Princess

I am done with my work and I am walking around again to the bunkers. The working men are efficient and quick. They were able to make huge and tall columns.

"Hi," I greeted Engineer... Zeke.

Inalis niya ang hard hat niya at sinabayan ako sa ilalim ng palm tree. His clothes got dirty, especially his maong pants, and he is sweating too. Bakat sa kanyang itim na poloshirt ang pawis niya dahil sa init ng araw.

"Hi," bati niya pabalik. "Tapos ka na sa trabaho mo?"

Tumango ako ng tingin sa likod niya. "Aren't you gonna change your shirt first? It is bad for your health."

"It's okay. I'm going to check on them again in awhile," aniya. "Did you eat the snacks?"

"Yeah, thank you." mahina kong tugon.

He smiled softly. "You are welcome, snowflake."

"Uhm... Do you need water?" anyaya ko at nilabas ang bottled water na tinatago ko sa aking likod. "I brought you one."

On a hot and windy day, he smiled handsomely and took the water from my hand. My chest felt like it was jumping inside.

"Thanks, princess..."

My heart raced. I was staring at him gulping half of the water down. The drops of his sweat ran down to his shirt. I saw how his Adam's apple moves each time he gulps.

"Engineer! Ready na," tawag ng isang trabahante.

Tumango siya bago bumaling sa akin. "Please hold my water for me."

"Okay..."

Yumuko siya sa aking lebel. Umawang ang aking labi dahil pinagpawisan talaga siya at hindi ko maiwasan na mag-aalala.

"Doon sa bunker mo ako hihintayin, snowflake. Mainit dito. Naka-on na ang air-con at fan doon para sakaling magpunta ka. I'll come to you when I'm done."

"Okay," sambit ko at hinawakan ng mabuti ang tubig niya. "Wear your hat again,"

"I will, princess..." halakhak niya.

Pinanood ko siyang nagsuot ulit ng hard hat niya bago ako nagtungo sa bunker niya. It was cold when I got inside. I just sat down on the rattan chair while waiting for him.

The next day, it was the same. I had my work at home while the Engineer had his work on the sites. But he still joins me for breakfast from time to time. Minsan umaalis siya ngunit bumabalik naman.

Kahapon, araw ng linggo, sabay kaming nag dinner sa bahay. The maids prepared good food and I was able to enjoy it as well. I am grateful that my parents are not around.

Currently, I am spending the rest of my day walking in the yard, feeling the sunshine and the warm breeze of fresh air. It is a good Monday.

I dropped my head for courtesy at the workers who are already on the site for work. They really work fast. At the moment, they are dropping solid for the first floor because the ground floor is almost done. However, it needs more refinement after everything is built.

Lumapit ako kay Engineer Zechariah na seryosong may ginagawang basket—he is weaving a basket but more like a tray. It is a good afternoon without much sunlight.

"Hi, finally done with work?" bati niya.

Tumango ako at umupo sa inilahad niyang upuan. "What is that for?"

He locked the wooden to the side and lit a fire from a lighter to seal the end before turning it around for me to look.

"It is your food tray," aniya at inabot sa akin. "I still need to paint that."