Chapter 27

Chapter 27: Gugustuhin

"Is that Nieve?"

"Oh! What happened to her?"

"Excuse us. We are sorry. Let us through."

"My Mom fainted and we needed to bring her to the hospital."

"Oh my god! Is she okay?"

"What happened to Nieve?"

The guests became alarmed upon seeing my mother carried out unconsciously. My sisters tried to reason out to calm all of them but in spite of doing such, the whispers are already too loud.

"Yes, yes. She will be fine."

"Please, enjoy the party." nakangiting sambit ni Dad. "My wife is a bit tired for the day. She'll join us later."

"The car is ready, Senator."

"Just let Nieve rest in your room, Emilio. I'll go check her. I am pretty sure she's fine." someone spoke amongst the crowd.

Everyone stopped upon Dr. Ebora's sudden arrival, Dad's sister. The guests sighed in relief and Dad gave a nod at his security team to carry on the order before assuring and calming the guests about the ruckus.

"It will be okay. My wife will be with us in a while." Dad chuckled. "The party must go on!"

"Bring Nieve to her room." utos ni Dr. Ebora.

"Come, Cresia." si Diana.

I trailed them behind. I glanced at the other side of the hallway, to the direction of my room. Zeke is still there. I want to go back but the least I want right now is to push the limits of my family and throw my husband out.

"What happened to her?"

Dr. Ebora checked Mom's pulses after placing her in a comfortable position. Riley sat beside Mom and caressed her forehead, tidying her hair neatly. Both of my sisters sent me a deathly glare.

"It is all Cresia's fault." galit na tugon ni Riley. "She got Mom mad. Walang utang na loob talaga. Sobrang sakit sa ulo."

I remained calm. Dr. Ebora averted her gaze at me with a furrowed forehead. Diana rolled her eyes in my direction before sitting down near our mother's feet. I remained standing in quite a distance.

"Nieve fainted for that. I see."

And silence came right through the room. Mom was thoroughly checked by Dr. Ebora. I could sense the threats from my sisters' glares to which it didn't seem scary at all. They are a pack, I am the odd one. The boundaries are always like that. Nothing special. Nothing to be sad about. Nothing to pity. 

"You two can go back to the party. Cresia and I will watch over your Mom until she wakes up." si Dr. Ebora. "She just needs some rest."

"Cresia is the reason why Mom fainted." giit ni Riley.

"She got married without Mom's permission."

My sisters responded almost in chorus.

"Ang kapal ng mukha niyang humarap kay Mommy. She sold herself to the Buenavista when clearly Mom already arranged her to marry somebody else! Wala siyang karapatan na ipakita ang walang hiya niyang pagmumukha."

"Riley," sita ning Dr. Ebora. "You are talking about your sister."

"Totoo naman, Tita. Dapat lahat sinusunod ni Cresia kasi binibigay naman ni Mom lahat ng gusto niya sa kanya. She is thankful she's got a mother like Mom."

"Where did your manners go, Riley?" medyo tumaas ang boses ni Dr. Ebora.

Riley scoffed. "So you side with this bitch, Tita?"