Chapter 29

Chapter 29: Stupid

"This is shocking news to all of us, Engineer. It turns out Miss Cresia Dela Cuesta is your mystery wife. The rumors were true." nakangiting komento ng media. "How are you feeling, Mrs. Buenavista? Can you please give our camera a good look?"

I smiled and waved my left hand to the camera. "I'm feeling good. Zeke's with me."

Zeke kissed the side of my head then chuckled. Umiinit bigla ang aking pisngi. It was too late to take back what I have said. I have no intention of sounding the same as an animal dominantly guarding the pack that she claims belongs to her.

"Shit. My wife is so beautiful." bulong niya at humalik ulit sa aking ulo bago tumingin sa harap. "The rumors are true. This beautiful woman beside me is my lifetime partner."

"You two look great together, Madame. Nakakakilig kayo ni Engineer po! I hope you'll enjoy the evening!"

I courteously lowered my gaze while they kept getting our photos. Just like that, the sight of all the cameras faced our direction. Zeke busied himself by holding the skirt of my long gown while assisting me to step down on the platform.

Kasunod namin ang agents ngunit may konting distansya nandahil sa utos ni Zeke. The main hall of the fundraiser party is filled with people, young and adult, rich and richer, elite and wealthy, businessmen and politicians, famous personalities and celebrities. The richest people are not in the room-- the Buenavistas, other than Zeke.

"Good evening, Engineer Zeke Buenavista!"

A series of greetings welcomed us. Zeke formally shook their extending hand whilst having his left arm around my waist and rested on my stomach.

"Good evening, Sirs." baritono niyang tugon.

"Who do we have here with you tonight?" halakhak ng isang businessman. "A fine lady for a great man."

"Isn't this..."

The eyes are on me like a spotlight. They have seen Zeke's arm clinging onto my body. There is a conferring discussion in their eyes. Zeke raised his hand below my chest, getting my attention back to him.

"Allow me to introduce my wife, Dawn Lucretia Buenavista." Zeke proudly spoke. "I am attending this event with my wife."

From squinting curious eyes, it has turned into an utter surprise. I gestured to lower my eyes a bit to adhere to the acknowledgement.

"Hello, gentlemen." I greeted politely.

Zeke taught me not to bow to people and even if it is him. He doesn't like it. And I understood why. I have been taught by my mother to bow to people because it has always been my job to please them, to make amends, and to build relationships for them to invest with our business. I had to step so low, dwell into the mud, to make sure my family had the glitters they wanted. But my husband changed that. Zeke made me realize that I deserve to stand on a tiled floor rather than a muddy ground.

"Oh... wow."

"Congratulations,"

"The daughter of Senator Emilio Dela Cuesta, right?"

I nodded shortly. "Yes, Sir."

"Congratulations, Engineer." bati ng isa. "And to your beautiful wife. She is a pure jewel."

"She is. And I am lucky man." mayabang na tugon ni Zeke.

They slowly left us after joining a laughter with Zeke's response. His hands were getting playful, hugging my body closer to his while we were walking around the room. I am trying to find us a table and he is just following me around.