SIXTY-NINE

— 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐬𝐭𝐫𝐚𝐥𝐬 —

𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐬𝐭𝐫𝐚𝐥𝐬

' *•.¸.•** . **•.¸.•*'

CASSIOPEIA WAS SURPRISED TO SEE HAGRID present at breakfast that morning, considering he wasn't at Hogwarts all term. However, she didn't expect his arrival to last long. Given Umbridge's hate for half-breeds, Cassie was just waiting for the professor to come up with an excuse to get Hagrid sacked.

The Gryffindors walked through the snow for their Care of Magical Creatures lesson. Hagrid stood waiting for them at the edge of the forest — his sported bruises that were green and yellow, and had various cuts all over. Cassiopeia frowned in confusion at his torn appearance. 

"We're workin' in here today!" he called happily, jerking his head back at the dark trees behind him. It was only when she got closer was when Cassie noticed half of a dead cow carried over his shoulder. "Bit more sheltered! Anyway, they prefer the dark..."

"What prefers the dark?" Cassiopeia heard Draco say sharply, and she turned to see him talking with Crabbe and Goyle. "What did he say prefers the dark — did you hear?"

"Ready?" asked Hagrid, looking around at the class. "Right, well I've bin savin' a trip inter the forest fer yer fifth year. Thought we'd go an' see these creatures in their natural habitat. Now, what we're studyin' today is pretty rare. I reckon I'm probably the on'y person in Britain who's managed ter train 'em—"

"And you're sure they're trained, are you?" came Draco's voice again. "Only it wouldn't be the first time you'd brought wild stuff to class, would it?"

"If I didn't know better, I'd say you sound scared," Cassiopeia taunted. "You sure you don't want to sit out of this lesson?"

"No one was talking to you," Draco snapped, glaring at her.

Cassie shrugged. "Just didn't want you to end up in the hospital wing again. Especially since it hasn't even been a full week since the last time you were."

Draco looked as if he wanted to hex her right there, and Cassiopeia smirked at him. 

"'Course they're trained!" Hagrid interrupted, scowling and hoisting the dead cow a little higher on his shoulder.

"So what happened to your face, then?" demanded Draco.

"Mind yer own business!" said Hagrid angrily. "Now if yeh've finished askin' stupid questions, follow me!

The class walked for about ten minutes until they finally reached a place where the trees stood so closely together that it was as dark as twilight and there was no snow on the ground at all. Hagrid dropped the cow and stepped back, facing the class.

"Gather roun', gather roun'," said Hagrid encouragingly. "Now, they'll be attracted by the smell o' the meat but I'm goin' ter give 'em a call anyway, 'cause they'll like ter know it's me..."