Chapter 114

Had to be said, the arrival of Auntie Mei and her husband greatly relaxed Fu Yunruo’s mind, reducing her stress significantly. The couple traveled a long distance to see her and her son, bringing with them many local specialties, such as homemade peanut oil, dried sweet potatoes, dried radishes, and mushrooms. Unfortunately, there was a limit of luggage two people could take with them; otherwise, they could have brought even more.

Wenwen was very dependent on Auntie Mei and Uncle Mei. He no longer clung to Fu Yunruo and freely acted spoiled around them. The couple also doted on Wenwen to no end, fulfilling his every request.

As a result, Fu Yunruo felt much more relaxed. All external affairs were handled by Yuan Xin, so she didn’t need to do anything, though the police had visited a few times to take their statements. The Fu family had made no moves, but the Chang family — or rather, only Chang Zhuyou — was trying their best to pull strings to exonerate Fang Xueruo. However, with solid evidence and Si Yue’s influence, the case proceeded steadily.

Fang Wanping couldn’t believe her daughter was so foolish. Not only did Fang Xueruo act without informing her, but she also left evidence behind! Fang Wanping felt her years had been wasted educating her stupid daughter.

Despite her anger, Fang Wanping still exhausted all methods trying to get her daughter out. After all, Fang Xueruo was her only child. If the girl was convicted, she would also be badly affected.

Having been the madam of the Fu family for many years, Fang Wanping had developed many contacts. The first thing she did was to ask her high-society friends for help. However, those fellow wealthy madams were the most sensitive when it came to matters of interest. Facing Fang Wanping’s plea, they were all evasive, and some even outright avoiding her.

One madam subtly hinted that Fang Wanping should approach Fu Zonghong instead. Indeed, these people maintained relations with Fang Wanping because of the Fu family, with whom their own families had friendly business ties. Fang Xueruo had been detained for several days, yet there was no response from Fu Zonghong. The circle interpreted his silence as a rejection to help the mother and daughter. No one was busybody enough to help with no gain, so it was only natural that they had no intention of lending a hand. To put it bluntly, without the Fu family and Fu Zonghong, Fang Wanping meant nothing to them.

At this reminder, Fang Wanping realized she had been looking in the wrong direction and should directly approach Fu Zonghong from the beginning. She spent years of effort, slowly manipulating him to favor her and her daughter, but everything was ruined by Fang Xueruo!

No, Fu Zonghong must still be on her side — Fang Wanping convinced herself. His anger must be temporary; as long as she explained well, he would eventually listen to her persuasion again, as always.

Fang Wanping quickly tried to contact Fu Zonghong but found him unreachable. He didn’t even return home for several days. When she visited the company, she learned he hadn’t been there for days and the business was temporarily managed by the vice president. Even his assistant had been absent.

Fang Wanping had no choice but to ask the vice president. The other party was polite, but he did not disclose Fu Zonghong’s whereabouts.

Disappointed, Fang Wanping returned home, only to find her husband had returned. Surprised and relieved, she asks, “Old Fu, where have you been these days? I’ve been searching everywhere for you.”