V

The beginning of October was not a very friendly one. The torrent of rain was incessant, and the raindrops ran down Beth's cheeks as soon as she left the train station. The water was even pouring down the back of her neck, under her coat. And Mary, who insisted to help Beth with the transfer, was now starting to regret her decision, when her perfect hair started sticking to her forehead, not being so perfect anymore.

"Are we there yet?" petite Mary, despite her good heart, was slightly overwhelmed by the heavy suitcase she was carrying for her friend. She was also becoming fussy, when the cold raindrops were becoming one with her skin.

"We're around ten minutes away" Beth wiped the water from her face. Their shoes sank into the mud that was now on the streets.

Finally they reached a shabby, brick tenement. A plate on the wall saying Floyer Road 10 with faded letters.

"Are you really going to live here now?" Mary's blonde hair was now dark from the water, the rain falling into her eyes when she looked up, to judge the bleak building.

"It's short-term," Beth mumbled, retrieving the keys from her pocket. She really wanted to believe in her own words. She opened the door and let Mary come in first.

It was a modest flat on the first floor. Inside it was warm, frowzy and dark, but Beth found the switch-key and the lamps on the ceiling worked just fine. Mary made a tour around the rooms. Hall, a kitchen, a bedroom and a tiny bathroom.

"I'll help you with unpacking" She offered. Their first plan was for her to just help Beth with carrying all her luggage, but Mary was not found of an idea of leaving her friend lonely in this awful place.

Not until the late evening, after drinking a few teas, putting the clothes into the wardrobe and seeing everything there was to see in this small place, Beth watched as Mary was running through the street, covering her face from the rain. After a minute or two she could only watch the raindrops hitting the window and the street becoming darker and darker, because the lanterns were old and their light was so weak, that it made no difference. She sighed, turning away from the window.

"My new home" the girl whispered under her breath, cleaning the kitchen table, trying not to think about all the bad things she heard about this city. That's why she ended up here. The rent was low. She would have to take a train to London, to get to the theatre, but she was able to live with that. Still, she was aware that she wouldn't be able to go there daily to spend all of the long hours as she used to. They didn't need her as much as she wanted them to. She was making costumes. It was enough if she went there once a week, so the actors would try them on. She didn't have to be there for the premieres. She never had to. And that was the thing bothering her the most.

Beth spent the night listening to the wind and rain outside, to the ticking of the clock on her wall.