IX

John was not sure if he should've felt guilty. Probably not. Still, he was not especially proud of being the one who caused so many chaos in Beth's life, that she had to become a babysitter for his neighbour's daughters. Their father never came back from the war. Every day, when just a few minutes before eight in the morning, John looked through the window, he could see that fragile silhouette of the girl with a bag full of small pieces of fabric, threads and ribbons, walking towards the house on the other side of the street. Somehow, John didn't know how and why, Beth still stubbornly worked for the theatre, even though it was just a matter of time for her to lose that job.

"Beth!" one evening, when he noticed her in the lights of the lanterns, he decided to join her. The girl stopped and smiled at him "What do you say for another night with your favourite's gentleman company?" He took her bag from her to carry it.

"I can't" Beth shook her head. In a long time John hadn't seen anyone this exhausted.

"Right. I am not sure if your beauty would work on anyone tonight" he smirked, taking her arm, deciding to at least walk her home. Birmingham was not a safe place to be, and he had a feeling that she was not aware of how true it was.

"John," Beth spoke after a few minutes that she spent on yawning and rubbing her eyes "One of the girls told me today that she's scared to live next to the Shelbys. She said you bring misfortune" she had a delicate smile playing on her lips. Why would she take the words of a ten-year old girl seriously? Especially that this little child tried to distract her from giving a lesson of simple algebra.

"If I was the one to judge you seem to feel very fortunate to have met me" John chuckled, elbowing her lightly.

"You know that's not what I meant" Beth rolled her eyes and also laughed "What do you do for a living?" she just realised that she never get an answer to that question. He always answered with a joke, and this time was no different.

"I walk pretty girls home."

"It was a serious question" she tried to keep a straight face, and not to smile at his answer. Beth was aware that her question was not the most exciting one. In this city everyone worked in the factory or owned the factory. In her opinion, John did the second thing, considering his well cut suit, and neat shoes.

"Tommy is organizing horse races. I take bets" he shrugged. They turned to the other street. The lanterns were not as good, the light weak, looking like an illusion.

"Don't you, by any chance, need a pretty girl?" Beth fluttered her eyelashes, but in response John just frowned, which was not a reaction she expected.

"It's a business full of bloody men addicted to gambling" he would never let any girl as lovely as Beth end up in such a terrible environment, that looked good only from the side. Who doesn't love watching horse races, drinking champagne and spending a lot of money? The girl didn't know that all of it is already fixed in advance, and how many people fought over that control.

Not more than a week ago, John and his brothers were threatened that if they didn't stop fixing the races, each of them would end up with a bullet between his eyes. He was unbothered. Tommy was about to present his plan to the family the next day.

"I can take you to the races next Saturday" he offered.

"Right into a crowd of bloody men addicted to gambling?"