04

| Nathan |

I was sitting at my desk, the clock in the front of the room read 1:33 pm and I was waiting for some new charity files to be sent up to me. Every month I chose three different organizations to donate too, which could mean anything from places in Africa, to schools that needed help getting off the ground. I believed that if I was so well off, than I should always find some way to give back, especially to those who really needed it.

There was a timid knock at my door and I hit the buzzer, unlocking it and letting whoever it was in. Martha's little form peaked through and she came in with the files. I eyed her, my fingers pausing in their attack on my keyboard in the email I was writing to some investors as she walked to the conference table, set down the papers and then looked up at me.

I dared her to speak, and luckily she didn't.

"Yes?" I ask.

"Um, well these are the charities I picked out for the month, o-options I mean." She says.

"Martha, what had I told you about stuttering and using the word 'um'?" I ask sternly, my deep voice resonating across the office. 

"Sorry sir." she says. "I mean Mr. Price." she stutters again, letting out a short breath.

"Alright." I pause, finishing the email, sending it and then getting up. I walk to the conference table to pick them out. I liked to be punctual with things, so getting this out of the way, was now a top priority for me.

I sat down at the head of the table and motioned for her to take the seat next to me. She sits down and hands me a stack. We went through them all slowly, reviewing articles she had printed out on each place or organization. I already had a money set aside for my school in Africa, but I wanted to choose two more to give money too.

I settled on an organization for foster children, and then we went through more. I finally stopped at a charter school article.

"Martha?" I ask, raising an eyebrow.

"Yes Mr. Price?" she asks.

"What's this?" I ask her, showing her the file. She lets out a breath.

"I might have snuck that one in there. I went there for all of elementary, junior and high school. It's a K through grade 12 charter school that incorporates the classical education system, it's an incredible place. The teachers really care, the students are all nice enough and I learned so much." She says, rambling a bit, but nonetheless I was listening. I thought education was incredibly important myself, I was just shocked she had had the confidence to 'sneak it in'.

"But they don't have enough resources to have a real gymnasium, an athletic department or an art department. Well really, they don't have a ton to offer other than book-smarts, but they want to change that. They just need the money." She continues on, biting her lip as she looks at me, clearly trying to decide if I was even considering this. She knew I always leaned more toward the foster system and other none-profit companies. 

"So you want me to help your old school?" I ask slowly.

"Yes." She says, smiling a little.

"I don't understand, if the school was so great why are you my secretary?" I ask. "I should think you would aim higher."

"I'm actually still in college, sir, I'm studying to become an attorney, when I saw this position open, it seemed like a good learning opportunity and it paid well." She says matter-of-factly.

"You must work hard then, this is a full-time job." I say, slightly impressed by what I had just learned about my new secretary.

"I do, but it's all worth it honestly Mr. Price. Plus you know the reward of hard work yourself." She says and I nod.