33

| Isabella |

In the weeks following Nathan and I officially getting together, my entire life felt as if it had been turned on its head. Sure, I had been in a some-what serious relationship in college, but that had been nothing like this. To be honest, I wasn't sure what I expected, especially knowing how hot and cold Nathan could be. And I kept waiting for him to get sick of this whole dating thing, but he didn't. He took me out regularly, was constantly texting or calling me, and seemed to have made a habit of sending little gifts to my apartment all the time.

The time that a box of assorted chocolates from a little bakery in Manhattan showed up on my doorstep, Rachael completely forgave him. She and I ate them immediately, and she kept going on and on about how he was definitely a keeper. I made sure to tell him later, of course, because he was no longer going to be in any danger if he came over. (She had been acting murderous towards him up towards this point.) But she was just being protective.

I was getting to know him a little better everyday, and the more I knew, I discovered there was also a whole lot about his past I didn't know. I understood that he didn't want to talk about it. According to Jackson, Nathan's time in foster care before he was adopted hadn't been too pleasant. I respected that this wasn't a part of his life he wanted to share, but I couldn't deny how curious the whole thing made me. Maybe, someday, he would want to talk about it. For now though, I couldn't remember the last time I'd been so happy. And it was all the time too. It was weird, but definitely not unwelcome.

Tonight, however, I was alone. Nathan had to go out of town on a business trip and Rachael was out with Hunter for the millionth time. We'd both been so absorbed in our relationships, we'd barely spent any time together lately.

So, here I was, finishing off my dinner and watching TV before I had to go to bed. My phone went off then, and I reached for it, smiling when I saw the message.

I wish you were here with me.

It was messages like these I'd never expected to get from him before, but now, it was normal. And that felt good.

Me too baby.

I write back. He reads it instantly and I see the bubble pop up, showing that he's responding.

This party is so boring, it's all just old people talking about the stock market.

I write back with a sad face, and then a purple devil. It was my favorite emoji by far.

Well, I wish you were home with me. Then you could watch The Office with me again.

He takes a bit to respond, and I think it's because some of the 'old people' are talking to him. I guess that was a downside of being successful at a young age.

You are obsessed with that show. ;)

I grin at the screen, he was right. I was. It was at that moment that Rachael burst through the front door of the apartment shrieking. I jumped so bad that my phone went flying across the room and landed smack on our wood floors. I winced, the screen was probably cracked.

"Rachael!" I shout over her wild, excited shrieks. "Rachael, calm down, Jesus!" And she laughs, sprinting over to the couch. I had no idea what was going on, I'd never been more confused in my life. I scream now too, bracing myself as she tackles me into the couch cushions. I wince again, I was probably bruised somewhere now.

"What is going on?" I shout and she sits up, grinning like a mad woman, as she finally quiets down. "What?" I ask, waiting for her to tell me what the hell had her acting this insane.