The Tears of a Princess Long Gone

Hunter and Link search for Princess Zelda, but come to a saddening discovery.

Get ready for angst. This one is short.

WARNING: MAJOR SPOILERS FOR TOTK! READ AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!

Hyrule had been searching far and wide for the lost Princess and her knight. They had disappeared when the Upheaval had happened. This was time for fear.

Once upon a time not long ago, Hyrule had blue skies filled with fluffy white clouds and everyone was happy, helping rebuild their Kingdom. But now...the atmosphere was filled with fear and uncertainty for the Kingdom's future as islands fell into the sky and sometimes the surface from the heavens. As Gloom ripped apart their land, opening chasms that led to a world of darkness below...

Hunter had tried his best to keep everyone hopeful knowing that Link would bring Zelda safely home to them. But when Link returned...without Zelda...his hope diminished. He had asked Link where Zelda was, thinking that perhaps he had taken her somewhere safe, but the knight replied saying he had no idea where she was.

"We will find her and bring her home," was what Hunter had said.

He had held onto that for the past few months. As Link continued his journey to help Hyrule during this time, Hunter searched every nook and cranny of Hyrule, the Sky Islands and the Depths. Hunter had spent his nights researching all the monsters in Hyrule and the Depths to learn how to defeat them. He didn't need Link's protection, for he was all the well capable of protecting himself.

Hunter and Link checked up on each other's progress regularly, for they made entries about each thing they discovered. These entries would show up on both of their devices. It seemed while Link was making lots of progress with saving Hyrule, Hunter was going around and around in circles and was pretty going absolutely nowhere.

"I don't get it!" Hunter complained to Link when they met up. "I've searched everywhere!"

"Well, she's around...people—I—have seen her...but then again...I don't think that was Zelda," Link said.

"Yeah me either," Hunter said. "That can't be her...she's too...cold..."

"I recovered a vision of Zelda in the past. Sonia, the Queen back then, was deceived by a Phantom who looked like Zelda...but it was a creation of Ganondorf..." Link said. "I think a Phantom is following us. She made Yunobo go berserk!"

"That's not Zelda," Hunter agreed. "But look...I've been everywhere except...look...I went as far as the Gloom's Origin. I couldn't go any further. My gut told me not to."

"Yeah, I've gone as far as the door to the Imprisoning Chamber. I—I don't think she's in there though,"Link said.

"So where is she? Look, Link...I've given up hope! I'm going to the Great Sky Island to see if I can find anything in the Temple of Time there...but...that's my last resort," Hunter said.

"Okay. I'm going to find Mineru. She's the final Sage. She was alive during the Imprisoning War...maybe she'll know something...good luck," Link said.

"Thank you. You too," Hunter said.

With that, they parted ways.

———

As expected, Hunter found nothing in the Temple. He sat down on a rock near the edge of the island. There, he saw a dragon he had never seen before fly past. The dragon had long golden hair and blue-y-turquoise horns. It looked sad, which made Hunter feel sad.

"Why are you so sad? Are you lost?" Hunter asked the dragon, earning no response, as expected. "I'm searching for someone...I've looked everywhere, but I can't find her. I don't even know why I'm looking so hard. Have you seen Zelda?"

The dragon blinked and looked down sadly at that, but Hunter had no idea why. Then he saw it. The Master Sword embedded in the dragon's head.

"Why do you have that sword?" Hunter asked, but before he got any closer, the dragon flew off.

Hunter sighed and looked at his Data-pad as he got a ping! It was from Link. The entry told him to stay put and that Link was coming.

So he stayed put and waited.

———

"So...Zelda's a dragon?" Hunter asked.

"Yeah...she did it to replenish the Master Sword and live through the thousands of years it needed," Link said.

"She flew by. I talked to her. That why she was so sad when I mentioned her name!" Hunter said.

"May I ask...why are you so intent on finding Zelda?" Link asked.

"Because I—because she was so kind to me and my brothers and I wanted to pay her back...but she's been below our noses—or above our noses, should I say—this whole time," Hunter sadly said.

Zelda came around again, and purred sadly, a tear slipping from her ginormous eye. She was crying the tears of a Princess long gone...

Well. That was sad. Sorry. Not. Um...hopefully the next one is happier!!!!! Baiii!!!!