Ch 10: Rain Effect

So the rain suddenly stopped after a few seconds, the time it took for me to add a new part. Wow. And I was going to use it for inspiration. Oh well.

Dedicated to blush_doll

++++++++++

Ciara's POV:

It's raining again. I've been looking at the distance for quite a while. I'm sitting on a bench of grainy golden brown wood. The rain hasn't gotten me drenched wet yet, but that's because I'm under a tree with wide, bright green leaves. So far, I've only been splashed with several cold drops, and dry, compared to the soil quickly turning to a dark brown mush a few paces ahead of me.

There is a person with hair dyed red on the bench across from me. She looks like she's writing a letter. I hope she won't notice me looking at her. That would be downright embarrassing. I'm suddenly noticing how she's staring at the ground like I was a few moments ago. I wish she's not dealing with anything bad. Can I make her feel better somehow?

She's... getting sopping wet actually. How can she write a letter when it's raining? The ink will run and the paper will turn soggy. It doesn't seem like it matters to her though. She's scribbling furiously, hunching over the paper.

I'm in an almost empty park near the school. I left my bag with George a while ago before I came here. I told him I'd walk alone for some thinking and he shouldn't follow me. I'll call him when I'm ready.

It has always been a short walk from the school. It would roughly be around almost 10 minutes if you take your time. The road is smooth gray cement and big trees line the roadside. They form an arch above the road. The wind also blows a lot of the time hence between the trees and the wind, this trail is a cool one. The first thing you see when you get to the park is the sandbox. After that come the swings.

The seat I'm occupying is my favorite perch. I always sit here unless someone gets here first. The wide leaves give me shade. Apparently, it's a good umbrella too. I've never been here when it rained, to tell the truth. It's actually empty and quiet, unlike during cloudy or sunny days wherein children are running around and their mothers are catching up. Moms.

I looked back at the girl across me. During the short time I had been lost in thought, she had pulled her knees up to her chest and was still staring at the ground.

I looked around for the letter and found it folded up and already a wet mess on the spot beside her.

Overcome by some sort of impulse, I ran to her and pulled her with me. "Let's get wet!" I screamed at her.

She looked at me weirdly, but thankfully didn't curse. Doesn't matter. We were probably thinking of the same thing: I was a lunatic for doing this. Not that it would make much difference if she stood up since she was already wet. Although... I might have interrupted her thoughts.

We stood on the middle of the pathway facing each other, unsure of what to do.

I didn't know what had gotten into me that I went and did that. The normal Ciara wouldn't do something like that. It involved a stranger, and some guts. At least it's a girl. I could've fared a lot worse.

Suddenly, she grinned.

I had a sudden thought. "Um, actually, why don't we do this?" I held out my hand for her to shake. "I'm Ciara."

She took my hand and shook it. "Maureen. It was crazy meeting you."

I just grinned back and said, "I believe I'm crazy too."

I didn't expect her to say anything else, but she suddenly swept her foot over a deep puddle and dirtied my already drenched white socks.

I looked at her in shock. She was grinning. "Hey! You're crazy too!" I laughed.