Ch 18: Last Day of Exams

To SarahRamoba,
Thank you for all your votes! <3

++++++++++

A doctor walked toward us. "Ms Gregor?"

"Yes?"

"I'm Riley Millan, the doctor assigned to your father. He's suffering from a concussion. Although he's stable, he hasn't woken up yet."

"May we see him?" George asked.

"Please come with me."

We walked down white hallways. Again. At least the chairs are blue. I seem to be getting a lot of white interior decoration lately. We soon turned left and stopped outside a door at the end of the hallway.

"I'll leave you alone with the patient," the doctor said.

I heard the door swing shut softly.

"Do you want me to leave?" George asked quietly.

I looked up at him and shook my head. I walked to the bed and looked at my father.

His head was covered by a bandage. Red, swollen lacerations and a few scratches were visible on his face and arms. There was a bandage covering his lower left arm. What caught my attention the most, though, was his face. The expression on his face. It was so peaceful, serene.

My father looked younger. He almost looked content, apart from the fact that he wasn't smiling softly, and his eyes were closed.

Smiling softly. I can't remember the last time he smiled like that.

I found myself relaxing bit by bit. I sat down on the chair and focused on the ceiling. As much as I was composed about his hospitalization, deep inside I didn't want to lose him. Even when he's hurt me.

Even during the times he got drunk. The times he wasn't there for me. I still resent him. But that doesn't change the fact that he's my father. Me and my brother both. He's still the one keeping us alive, getting us good education, and giving us a home. Yes, he doesn't spend much time with us, but he's still our mom's husband.

I looked at him then at George. "Can you send me some clothes and the school bag? I'll be staying for the night. Add whatever you need."

George took out his phone and started to press some buttons.

"But before that," I interrupted. "Do you want anything? I'm thirsty," I grinned.

"Nope," he replied.

"I'll look for a vending machine or canteen."

"Ciara," he called back.

"Yeah?" I asked, my hand on the doorknob.

"Don't bother. We'll eat soon. I'll buy a few things after this call."

"Not hungry," I stated flatly.

"You're still eating," he ordered, turning back to his phone.

It is lunch time after all, I thought as I looked at the clock. 12 noon.

[1 hour later]

I was finishing my lunch when Nan burst in. "

Ciara!" she exclaimed.

I chewed what I was eating and started to wave. She rushed to me and squeezed me tight. Luckily, I had already swallowed the food. Her bear hugs are capable of crushing the life out of people. Just kidding. Her hugs are seriously tight though.

She pulled back and held me at arm's length, staring intently at my face. "How are you, my dear?" she asked, concern lacing her eyes.

"Eating," I answered cheekily. What am I doing being so cheerful?