16. Don't Worry, Be Happy!

One week later...

A whole week had passed since Ashton told you to leave, and the red from your cheek, along with the hickey's on your body, were long gone. You thought your remaining time with Ashton was going to be hell, but it really wasn't all that bad!

Okay, that was a lie...

Ashton had barely left the house, which was a drastic change from his previous schedule. He'd switched to an online position for his job and often spent most of his time working all night in his room, and honestly, you didn't really see a lot of each other.

But when you did, things quickly became tense.

His eyes always seemed to be piercing into you, making you highly on edge. It almost seemed like he was watching, or waiting for you to screw up! And you hated it...

Thankfully though, tonight you would be free from any persecuting gazes from him. Ashton didn't say where he was going, but you didn't really care enough to ask anyway. All he said was, " I'll be back later." before walking out of the door.

Which led you to where you currently are now...

You sat on the couch, in the dark, just thinking about everything that had happened and what you'd do.

You only had a week left. Seven days. That was it.

It wasn't very much time, but it was more than what you thought you'd get, honestly.

Where were you gonna go?! You were certain you didn't have enough money to buy a place for yourself, and you knew staying with your parents was a definite no-go. The only friend you could turn to would be Wybie, but you really wanted to avoid involving him in your problems.

"Fuck!" you cursed to yourself in frustration, while your hands raked through your (h/c) hair roughly. You were running out of time, along with ideas!

Honestly, you should have seen something like this coming. I mean, did you really think you could just cheat on Aston and everything turn out okay? Sure, it was harmless fun in the beginning, but now.... you were at risk of becoming homeless!

You wanted to rage and lash out, but the logical part of you knew...

You'd brought this upon yourself.

More tears threatened to fall down your cheeks, but you wouldn't let them. You were simply too tired to shed anymore tears now.

As you sat in the dark, alone with your thoughts, your eyes couldn't help but drift towards the small door on the wall.

You hadn't seen Atticus in a week.

You wondered if he was worried about you, or how he would react when you told him you were leaving. Sure, you missed him and wanted to see him...but another part of you dreaded having to see his face again.

Because it might be the last time...

You don't know why the thought of not seeing him again saddened you as much as it did. As much as you'd like to indulge yourself in the fantasy that you two could be together... you knew it wasn't possible. After all, he was...well, you didn't even know what the hell he was!

Sighing to yourself, you made an important decision. As much as you knew it would pain you to do so, you had to go see Atticus and talk to him. You may not get another chance to.