21. Conflicted

"What the hell?"

That was the first thing you said when you woke up. Your head hurt like hell, and your body felt extremely stiff, almost as if you hadn't moved an inch all night. You sat up and looked at your surroundings, your (e/c) eyes widening in surprise, once you realized you were back in your old bedroom.

You sat atop the familiar, fluffy (f/c) blankets, while birds could be heard chirping through the open window. Bright skies and sunshine bathed the sky, and surely enough...... morning had come.

'How did I even get here? Shouldn't Ashton be the one sleeping here right now?' you thought in your head confusedly. 'And where the hell are my clothes?!'

Flashes from last night flew across your memory. You remember crawling through the small door, meeting with Atticus, and walking to the kitchen, but.....

Then everything just went dark.

The more you thought about last night, the more you began to remember. And suddenly, all the pieces started to fit...

'That's it.....' you said, gasping at what you remembered. ' He tricked me. I trusted him and he, he....!'

You weren't able to finish your thought, before tears started to slide down your cheeks. Betrayal and hurt was written all across your face, but most of all you just felt heartbroken.

It just didn't make sense. Why go through the trouble of tricking and drugging you....only for you to ultimately wake up and end up back in your world?! It's not like Atticus could reach you over here! Nothing could have really changed and you two still couldn't be together..... so why?

The more you thought about it, the more of a headache you started to have. You supposed it didn't really matter anymore though..... Atticus betrayed you, and there's no way you were going to crawl through that tunnel to ask why.

'I can't be crying about all of this now....' you told yourself in your head, shaking your head and wiping your tears. ' I have to go find Ashton. He should be here right now....' you sniffled.

And alas, there was another thing that didn't make any sense. Where the hell did Ashton go? Surely he'd be throwing a fit by now if he realized you were sleeping in his bed, and yet.... here you still were.

You got out of bed, wobbling on your feet a little before you found your balance. You still felt a little dizzy, not to mention the head-splitting migraine you had.... you could only imagine what he must have given you.

You slowly stepped towards the bedroom door, making sure to take your time and not exert yourself too much too soon. The white dress you had on fluttered against your legs as you moved, the cold floor against your feet sending shivers throughout your body.

You opened the bedroom door, stepping out into the hall and making your way to the stairs. As you approached them, you could faintly make out the blue flashes of light that seemed to be coming from the living room.

And that's when it hit you....A sound you had come to be all too familiar with.

The Super Mario Bros. Theme song.